Kendall GT-1 0W20 12' Mazda3 Skyactiv engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 5k on M1 0w20 EP in the same engine. I have not taken a sample yet. Been running premium fuel. I'm very curious to see the fuel dilution #'s.

I like the Kendall GT-1 oil. I'm considering trying it. Looks like they also use the tri-nuclear moly too.

Originally Posted By: walk23
High fuel dilution. Right oil. Wrong fuel delivery system.

It wouldn't be Skyactiv without DI.

Originally Posted By: skyship
3.4% fuel is bad news although the rest of the UOA is fine, so no harm done.

Exactly. Good looking UOA. If dilution didn't cause an issue, keep doing what you're doing.

Last edited:
Quote:
DI equates to oil fuel dilution, a viable consideration when new car shopping.

Most OEM's are going there. So the choices to avoid it are limited and will eventually not be a choice.

Last edited:
I think the rings just take longer to seat when cars use synthetic from the get go. Especially if the factory fill oil is dumped early. Your wear #'s are all fine so no worries. Fuel dilution should be much reduced on it's own by the 50k mile mark. Just follow the OLM and keep it topped off. My 2 cents. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Dilution can be reduced in these engines. My uoa showed no signs of it with the same engine.

I switched to premium fuel (91 octane) in my last oil change interval on a skyactiv, and my dilution% went from 3.3% (with 87 octane) to TRACE. Might be something to that; the rest of the driving time was very similar. Engine's got almost 50k miles on it by now, I would expect any break-in cycle to be long over. Give it a shot for an interval; I got 2mpg better in my CX-5, so the costs ~offset.

Html:

OIL 0w20SYNTEC CASTROL SYNTEC

NO TI TITANIUM 0w20

MILES IN USE 8.1k 7.5k 7.0k

MILES 48.7k 40.6k 33.0k

SAMPLE TAKEN 3/30/15 10/30/14 5/21/14

ALUMINUM 4 3 3

CHROMIUM 0 0 0

IRON 6 7 8

COPPER 1 0 1

LEAD 0 1 1

TIN 3 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 76 79 87

NICKEL 1 0 1

MANGANESE 0 0 0

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 10 28 1

POTASSIUM 2 3 4

BORON 94 26 28

SILICON 8 9 7

SODIUM 5 7 11

CALCIUM 1838 776 895

MAGNESIUM 236 1374 1111

PHOSPHORUS 677 602 593

ZINC 779 796 774

BARIUM 0 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.1 0.3 0.2

WATER 0 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 380 320 345

SUS VIS 210ºF 50.5 50.4 48.2

cSt @ 212ºF 7.41 7.38 6.72

FUEL% TR 3.3 2.0

TBN NO TEST 4.6 5.6

Within the next month I am going to run a UOA on my wife 12 Mazda 3 skyactive, Even though its the winter oil. I used Valvoline Standard Conventional 5/20. We will soon see.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: skyship
3.4% fuel is bad news although the rest of the UOA is fine, so no harm done. First question is do you get any smoke at hot idle or spend a lot of time stuck in traffic or short tripping?
If you do a few longer highway trips the fuel should evaporate, but as the normal limit is 2% I kind of thing something might be wrong with the injection system. It might be worth thinking about using a direct feed fuel injector cleaner to see if that helps lower the figure.
Are you using an OEM fuel filter and good quality fuel, as they are the main reasons for damaged or gummed injectors, along with simply not using the engine at least once a month?
If you can get the fuel contamination below 2%, then the OCI could be extended.

Its an engine quirk. Mazda DI is known to dilute their oils a bit. Any UOA on this website attests to that. Almost all of them show the oil between 6~7 cST @ 100C. Some even show dilution in the 5 cST ranges. The wear always looks good though. Makes me believe something I read on some Mazda forums a bit ago, one of the dealership techs mentioned that these engines are broken in from the factory, this helps it work well with the thinner oil they spec for the US and Canada markets I guess.

Many comments from some in here do not understand the Mazda Skyactive Engine. There is no problem with fuel dilution, you are correct, its a quirk, side product of being the WORLDS HIGHEST COMPRESSION GASOLINE ENGINE ... ( I guess some fuel slips through)and it runs on regular gas and super high mileage.

Anyone interested ... read up ... at this link ... Mazda Skyactive engine

A new-generation highly-efficient direct-injection gasoline engine that achieves the world's highest gasoline engine compression ratio of 14.0:1

Features of SKYACTIV-G

Last edited:
I would run premium gas if I had this car. Almost bought one over the civic. DI and the fuel dilution was a factor.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Within the next month I am going to run a UOA on my wife 12 Mazda 3 skyactive, Even though its the winter oil. I used Valvoline Standard Conventional 5/20. We will soon see.

I look forward to seeing this report. VWB has shown to perform well in some DI engines.

no fuel dilution in Skyactiv 2.0L with Premium fuel

I've been running Premium 93 octane fuel in my 2014 Skyactiv 2.0L since new and my last 3 UOAs didn't show any fuel. The car gets driven aggressively daily and is mostly a city cruiser, so it idles a lot at redlights and stuff. I highly recommend using Premium fuel if you're concerned about fuel in the oil.

I use the Gas Buddy app to find cheap fuel around my driving route and it's usually only $2 more max per fill up vs regular gas. I believe the engine runs better and pulls harder on premium fuel, so it's worth the cost in that alone.

I took Artem's advice and have only been running premium (93). I have almost 7k miles on M1 EP 0w20. Will sample soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back