School me on these newer toyota oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to do my first oil change on the 09 camry V6. From what i've heard and seen its paper filters now and no longer cans.

I have 2 friends with camrys both 4 cylinders, an 09 and a 2012. Do they use the same filters? Thinking we can order bulk from OEM toyota.

I've research and found that they make METAL CAPS for these filters, i assume because the plastic housing is going to crack at one point. Its OEM as well... is this an issue? Should I invest in this unit?

LINK

Also how to do i remove this cap, looks like a LARGE socket is used for this. Seems that everything is a different size and what not. I would like to help my friends but obviously my V6 comes first before they 4 cylinders if the tools are different.

Last edited:
The plastic cap isn't as likely to crack as it is for the corners of the lands to round off. The metal cap opens with the same filter wrench socket as the plastic. I believe its 14 lands at 65mm. When you get the metal one make sure the filter support tube is the same length as the current, if not they can be swapped.

My old (07) Tundra came with the same plastic cap and I swapped it out for a metal one and I must say it made OCI's less of a headache.

Last edited:
You can buy the wrench and OEM filters on Amazon. You can replace the plastic cap but there doesn't seem to be much talk of them cracking.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=toyota+oil+filter+wrench&sprefix=toyota+oil+filter%2Cautomotive%2C228

I bought one of the wrenches, the price at dealer was ok for that tool. As were filters and TGMO and crush washers.

FWIW, I do not drain the housing to change the filter. I just pull the who.e thing. Like it was an old style cannister.

Do not over tighten. I feel for it to bottom out, and leave it alone.

Hmmm, I've pretty much decided that until matters change, I am going to use Valvoline's 24.99 special oil change to lube the '09 Camry we bought. They do fine when I take the work van there. I have yet to find the spark plugs on the side wise 4. It drives better than any car I've owned.

I dont have any experience with oil changes in 'Yodas yet, but the cap on the GF's car is in rotten shape. The dealer must have usec water pump pliers or something?

My wrench still grabs it just fine. No cracks either.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Hmmm, I've pretty much decided that until matters change, I am going to use Valvoline's 24.99 special oil change to lube the '09 Camry we bought. They do fine when I take the work van there. I have yet to find the spark plugs on the side wise 4. It drives better than any car I've owned.

I dont have a problem doing my own oil change nor getting messy. For me its not about money saved, its more about knowing 100% the oil change was done right. Plus i like doing them at this point in my life.

It's going to be very difficult to crack one of those caps without taking a sledge hammer to it. The cap itself is strong. It's the little tabs that get worn or broken off from using the incorrect tool to remove it. Some people try to use claw wrenches and such on them and it just chews the outside of the cap up.

Get the correct adapter socket for it. The tool will break long before the cap does. I wouldn't spend $100 on the tool as I have seen the expensive ones crack in half too, but you do need it to make the job easier and to prevent damage to the cap.

See if you can find the socket with notches that fit over the tabs on the cap. Buying the right tool the first time will save a lot of frustration.

This Bitog discussion has some good info about the Toyota 1.8. If yours doesn't take the same wrench, there must be an equivalent. On the 1.8, turning the cap to a certain orientation will allow more oil to drain. I'm not sure if the V6 works the same way.

The 4 and 6 cylinders use different elements. The 6 cylinder has a metal cap vs the plastic for the 4 cylinder. The Assenmacher tool works better than the stamped metal wrenches. To drain you remove the small cap with 3/8 socket drive and plug in a plastic drain. It allows you to drain the canister before removing it..

Originally Posted By: Tones
The 4 and 6 cylinders use different elements. The 6 cylinder has a metal cap vs the plastic for the 4 cylinder. The Assenmacher tool works better than the stamped metal wrenches. To drain you remove the small cap with 3/8 socket drive and plug in a plastic drain. It allows you to drain the canister before removing it..

Tones, you mention they had different elements and the caps are different material but you didn't say if they cap side was the same size for the 4 and 6. Are they?

I found the assenmacher cap tool on amazon but it had one size, 64mm LINK

I also came across this tool, it had the indents for the "ears" link

I have that tool, and it works on my I4 and my V8. Err, no V6 here. Would find it hard to believe they would use a different wrench for a V6 though. Amazon reviews indicate it works on the Sienna.

Uses the same 24mm socket that I need to do diffs.

Yes, the Amazon is the one I bought and that one tool fits both. The other one with the ears that engages the tabs--that one does not fit both.

Last edited:
I bought used an Assenmacher type socket to get the filter off the Rat. I used it once. Bowlofturtle, I have given that advice for 40 yrs about DIY. This is the first time I have paid someone to drain the oil and filter. I have better things to do at the moment than spend my time learning about a Camry
grin2.gif

It is the same wrench for the 6 cyl. too. Toyota doesn't offer a metal cap for the Tundra, so the guys buy the one for the V6 and change the filter tube. Other than that its all the same.

I came across this tool today for 6 and 8 cylinder Toyotas.

ABN 7113

It looks like the equivalent packaged by "Private Brand Tools" no longer has the hole in the center for a 3/8" ratchet.

I purchased a 1967 Toyota Corona and it used a cartridge type filter. I had the vehicle five years and don't recall ever being able to find the cartridge anyplace but the dealer since it came in a kit containing sever gaskets. The housing had a drain plug.The build quality was superior to anything ever seen in the USA at the time. No comparison to the pos 66 Dodge Dart V8 I special ordered with disc brakes and four on the floor.

Who uses car company brand filters? No need to, there are so many good aftermarket options available...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Who uses car company brand filters? No need to, there are so many good aftermarket options available...

I always stay with the manufacturer's brand oil and air filter while the car or truck is still under warranty. Cheap enough to buy the filters from Rock Auto, Amazon, or other places instead of the dealership.

When the warranty is up, I STILL stay with the manufacturers brand. Nothing has failed or caused a problem yet, unlike some after market filters I have read about.

Originally Posted By: ls973800
Originally Posted By: grampi

I always stay with the manufacturer's brand oil and air filter while the car or truck is still under warranty. Cheap enough to buy the filters from Rock Auto, Amazon, or other places instead of the dealership.

When the warranty is up, I STILL stay with the manufacturers brand. Nothing has failed or caused a problem yet, unlike some after market filters I have read about.

There's really no reason for doing it. Using aftermarket brand oil and filters doesn't void your warranty, besides, I would bet a steak dinner that most, if not all of the car company branded oils and filters are made by aftermarket companies anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back