Premix mathmetical formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone knows the actual math formula for calculating fuel premix? I can do the sums, but I'm trying to understand the formula itself.

Thanks!

If you want a 50 to 1 mix and you have 428 ounces of gasoline you can do this.

1 over 50 = x over 428. Then you cross multiply.

50x = 428 then you solve for x, divide both sides by 50

428 divided by 50 = 8.56 so you add 8 and one half ounces of oil

I think of the problem this way and it helps to keep me from making a stupid mistake. And the amount of gasoline can be any amount. I usually convert the units to ounces because that's how I measure the oil.

Since you're in Texas I'll give you the numbers in ounces.

There are 128 ounces in a gallon. If you know the ratio and want to know how much oil to use then you divide the ratio into 128.

Example: You want a 32:1 ratio. Divide 128ounces(1gallon) by 32(the mix ratio specified by your engine mfgr) and you get 4. So you'd use 4 ounces of oil per gallon.

If your engine mfgr requires 50:1 then divide 128 by 50 and you get 2.56 so you'd use 2.6 ounces of oil.

100:1 would be 128 divided by 100 and you'd use 1.28 ounces of oil per gallon.

If you have a big 2.5 gallon jug then you have 320 ounces of gasoline. If you want to mix your fuel at 40:1 then you'd divide 320 by 40 and you'd use 8 ounces of oil in this 2.5 gallon (320oz) container.

if you want to just mix a quart then you divide a quart (32 ounces) by the ratio.

a 32:1 ratio would be 32 ounces divided by 32 = 1. You'd use 1 ounce of oil per quart of gasoline.

Originally Posted By: rearviewmirror
I was wondering if anyone knows the actual math formula for calculating fuel premix? I can do the sums, but I'm trying to understand the formula itself.

Thanks!

What do you mean? If it says something like "50:1" on the bottle, then that is your formula. It means take one part oil and 50 part gasoline. It's up to you to define the "part". For example, if "part" = 1 oz, then you take 1 oz of oil and 50 oz of gasoline.

Start with the basics of understanding premix ratios... it doesn't matter what you use to
measure the gas and oil as long as the unit is the same... take 32 to 1

32 teaspoons of gas to 1 teaspoon of oil
32 ounces of gas to 1 ounce of oil
32 gallons of gas to 1 gallon of oil
32 oil tankers of gas to 1 tanker of oil

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'm so glad we went metric...

Makes for interesting reading though. They make it all sound so easy, mixing ounces to gallons...mumbo jumbo.

It's all the other guff that comes with imperial.

Ounces per gallon (us or UK) requires rote knowledge

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'm so glad we went metric...

Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 but opposition grew to the point of
lunacy... funeral homes couldn't sell plots were your love one is buried 1.8 meters... it
just didn't sound as deep as 6 feet under...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back