95 T-Bird Frozen Brake Slider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, frozen slider on my son's 95 Thunderbird. This is the lower slider which isn't a pin type slider but rather a tube type slider and it's frozen solid. We were just putting new pads and roters on but ran up against this. I had a c-clamp on it trying to make it move but it actually snapped my c-clamp! It's rusted solid. Car's got 188k miles and it's been a long time since any brake work.

So what are my options? I see a re-manufactured caliper for sale at O'Reillys for about $40. Outside of that, remove the caliper, put it on a bench and use a torch to heat it up? Any advice on other approaches, perhaps while the caliper is still on the car?

I am assuming that this caliper is for the front?

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=889369&cc=1140556&jnid=541&jpid=3

If it's any consolation, I have always been able to remove them with some penetrant and time. Even the most frozen sliders. I WOULD NOT use a torch on the caliper. This could make matters worst as the slider is soft metal!

I think it's best to remove the caliper and work on it though, I have done this while on the car! Worst that can happen is that you WILL have to replace the caliper!

Best of luck!

CB

Last edited:
I would say vice grips, penetrating lube and new slider/boot. Torch only if absolutely necessary. If torching I would do it on the bench with the piston, seal and dust boot removed.

Last edited:
Try some BP Blaster. If that doesn't work, replace the caliper, it might be overdo anyway.

Just replace the darn things... If you'd have kept up on brake fluid maintenance, I'd say heat the area of the slide with a torch and get new hardware, but with that kind of miles and no real maintenance, you'd be trouble ahead to replace.

Thanks gang, sounds like new calipers are my best bet. One things for sure, I'm gonna go through my other cars this summer and make sure things are in better shape than this old Ford!

Originally Posted By: Scout1
Thanks gang, sounds like new calipers are my best bet. One things for sure, I'm gonna go through my other cars this summer and make sure things are in better shape than this old Ford!

This is what I do during my summers especially since everything in my signature is getting old(er). And I want them to make it through next winter!
laugh.gif

Along with home and yard work too, I do get a chance to travel! Which is the other reason I work on the cars. I like to travel by car!
wink.gif
I'd like to get to Toronto, Baltimore, Cleveland & Chicago for some baseball games this summer! I wanted to get to St. Louis but, I'll wait a while!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back