New synthetic motor oil cold pour test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Mobil1 is still king, surprised by how slow the Castrol Edge was. AFAIK, the lightest grade for Rotella T6 is 5w40 which is doing better than Castrol Edge 5w30.

Who is the OEM for Walmart Synth in USA?

Previous test by the same person here:

It's not what happens inside a combustion engine. This test is good for [censored] and giggles and that's bout it.

Originally Posted By: deven
It's not what happens inside a combustion engine. This test is good for [censored] and giggles and that's bout it.

01.gif

Look at the 5:00 mark. The "Castrol" bottle is green during the pour and has blue tape wrapped around the bottle.

Next OCI that I do at -40 ambient, I'll be sure to get a 0W oil, which is rated to come out of the bottle at those temperatures, rather than a 5W.

I think that if some of you watched a YouTube video of a guy laying down a map of the world and said Earth was flat, you'd believe it.

This wasn't even close to a controlled experiment. I'm not defending any of the brands.

The OEM for the Walmart oil is made by Warren Distribution.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/

Originally Posted By: HKPolice

Looks like Mobil1 is still king, surprised by how slow the Castrol Edge was. AFAIK, the lightest grade for Rotella T6 is 5w40 which is doing better than Castrol Edge 5w30.

Who is the OEM for Walmart Synth in USA?

Previous test by the same person here:

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Look at the 5:00 mark. The "Castrol" bottle is green during the pour and has blue tape wrapped around the bottle.

When doing the first test, people said the differences in pouring speed was influenced by the different shapes of the bottles, the length of their necks, and the size of the bottle opening. To address that this time, they took the oils out of their original bottles, and put them all in the same size/shape bottles. Looks like they went with the QSGB shaped bottles, and put the Castrol in an oil QSGB bottle for the test. The blue tape probably has Castrol written on it so that they know what oil is in the bottle (since they changed bottles).

Originally Posted By: deven
What happens inside an internal combustion engine?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Next OCI that I do at -40 ambient, I'll be sure to get a 0W oil, which is rated to come out of the bottle at those temperatures, rather than a 5W.

Come visit me in Northern Ontario next January, and I will help you with your wish to change the oil at -40 ambient.
TGMO 0W20 FTW !

Oil needs to be pumpable and must return back to the sump. For Alaskans and Canadians, who see these temps, the 0w oils should be considered. Not all 5w oils are created the same.

Test means nothing to me in my Southern climate. Love to see how the Castrol and Mobil1 0w30's compare with the 5w.

Great experiment!

No vent holes made which skews the results much more to the "winners". Interesting though. I use M1 0w-30 in one car and like it, maybe this is why people say M1 is "noisy."

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Walmart oil did pretty good!
Supertech (Warren Oil) makes good quality stuff. The Wallyworld haters forget that in much of "flyover country" Walmart is a major supplier of such products and cannot afford to damage their reputation with "convenience store" oil. My local store has started carrying T6 in 2.5 gallon jugs. That's not for the "causal user: who just wants a quart of "something".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back