Is there a silicate-free PG coolant readily avail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer to use PG coolants because of my helpers. They're older now, so I'm not as worried that they'll slip a finger onto their faces before we finish up and get their hands washed, but we also have furry friend(s) to think of.
I happen to have a couple Hondas now, though (a pickup and a motorcycle), and they want a silicate-free coolant. I'm not convinced I really care about that part, but it would be nice if I could easily find a silicate-free PG.
Sierra and Prestone Low-Tox were both silicate-based coolants when I last talked with those two companies (maybe 3 or 4 years ago now?).

Anything new/different available now, or any suggestions?
Thanks.

Yes, Amsoil meets this.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/antifreeze-and-engine-coolant/

Quote:
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant is formulated to provide benefits beyond those provided by today's conventional antifreeze and coolant products. This revolutionary formulation provides maximum antifreeze and cooling protection in extreme temperatures and operating conditions. Unlike conventional ethylene glycol-based products, which are acutely toxic, AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant is formulated with propylene glycol. It is biodegradable and its low toxicity limits the threat to children, pets and wildlife.

Lasts Longer
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant contains a proprietary polyorganic acid technology. It eliminates the need for supplemental coolant additives and recharging cooling systems. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant provides extended service life in all gasoline and diesel vehicles. It can be used for seven years or 250,000 miles in passenger cars, light-duty trucks, vans and recreational vehicles and seven years or 750,000 miles in over-the-road diesel trucks. It is also good for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and closed marine applications.

Compatible With Other Fluids
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant is dyed neutral yellow and is compatible with all ethylene and propylene antifreeze and coolant formulations on the market, including DEX-COOL®, Sierra® and Zerex®. It is also compatible with fully formulated diesel antifreezes and other organic acid technology (OAT) and hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) formulations.

Helps Stop Leaks
AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant adheres to metal. It self-seals hairline cracks in welds and seams to help prevent leaks without additional stop-leak products or fibrous materials.

Helps Prevent Metallic Corrosion
Independent tests reveal AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant surpasses standards for metallic corrosion. It plates metal to provide protection, even when exposed to acids and salt spray. Standard allowances for loss in aluminum and solder are less than 60 mg. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant lost 0 mg in aluminum and less than 6 mg in solder.

Standards for iron, steel, copper and brass allow a maximum loss of less than 20 mg. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant never exceeded a 3 mg loss in any of those metals in a testing period that was run for 10 weeks, three weeks longer than required.

AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant (ANT)

Formulated for heavy-duty and automotive applications
Good for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and some marine applications
Extended drain intervals
Up to seven years or 750,000 miles in over-the-road diesel trucks
Up to seven years or 250,000 miles in passenger cars, light-duty trucks, vans and recreational vehicles
Biodegradable, low toxicity, non-polluting
Aluminum engine block compatible
Contains no nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, silicates, borates, amines or molybdates
Dispose of used antifreeze according to local, state and federal regulations

APPLICATIONS

AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant can be used in any applications requiring the following specifications or tests:

ASTM D6210, D3306
Caterpillar EC-1
Chrysler MS-7170, MS-9769
Cummins CES 14603
Detroit Diesel 93K217
Ford WSS-M97B51-A1, WSS-M97B44-D
Freightliner 48-22880
GM DEX-COOL®
John Deere 8650-5
Mack Trucks CN H
TMC RP-330
US Military CID A-A-52624-A

Composition by Weight:
Total glycols, > 92 percent; Corrosion inhibitors and antifoamants = 8 percent; Water, < 1 percent

Boiling Point (sea level):
219° F at 40 percent concentration,
221° F at 50 percent,
225° F at 60 percent;
increase by 40° to 45° F if a 15 psi radiator cap is used

AMSOIL PRODUCT WARRANTY
AMSOIL products are backed by a Limited Liability Warranty. For complete information visit www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx.

HEALTH & SAFETY
This product is not expected to cause health concerns when used for the intended applications and according to the recommendations in the Safety Data Sheet (SDS). An SDS is available online at www.amsoil.com or upon request at (715) 392-7101. Keep Out of Reach of Children. Recycle used oil and bottle.

Been running Amsoil coolant for 20 years. Before their old formulation was not long life. But I wanted a PG coolant for the animals etc.
Been running their long life coolant for a fair number of years now, and am happy with it.

They are changing up the coolants a little since the last time I ordered some:

New Coolant Lineup Coming May 11

Posted: April 2, 2015 - New Product

AMSOIL will introduce a new lineup of coolants May 11, including a new formulation for Propylene Glycol Antifreeze & Coolant (ANT) and two new ethylene glycol-based coolants: Passenger Car & Light Truck Antifreeze & Coolant (ANTPC) and Heavy-Duty Antifreeze & Coolant (ANTHD). The new products and the reformulated version of Propylene Glycol Antifreeze & Coolant allow for pricing and drain interval recommendations that are better aligned with the current market and provide increased opportunity for Dealers.

The Propylene Glycol Antifreeze & Coolant product code will remain the same, and the current formulation is available while supplies last. Its new, reduced pricing is effective immediately. The new formulation will be available once the current formulation is sold out.

AMSOIL Propylene Glycol Antifreeze & Coolant

Formulated for use in ALL domestic and import passenger cars and trucks, as well as heavy-duty applications.
Protection up to 150,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first, in passenger cars and light trucks
Protection up to 600,000 miles, 12,000 hours of operation or 6 years, whichever comes first, in heavy-duty applications
100 percent concentrate. Must be mixed with water.
Available in both the U.S. and Canada.

AMSOIL Passenger Car & Light Truck Antifreeze & Coolant

Formulated for use in ALL domestic and import passenger cars and trucks.
Protection up to 150,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.
Pre-mixed 50/50 with high-purity water.
Not available in Canada due to hazardous-material constraints.

AMSOIL Heavy-Duty Antifreeze & Coolant

Formulated for use in heavy-duty applications.
Protection up to 600,000 miles, 12,000 hours or 6 years, whichever comes first.
Pre-mixed 50/50 with high-purity water.
Not available in Canada due to hazardous-material constraints.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Peak Long Life is silicate free

Yes it is and a great coolant if you don't want PG, since Peak is EG

OHHHHHH, i didn't understand the PG abbreviation until I googled it, not gonna lie, I hate txting or typing or reading abbreviations because that can cause confusion as there is not a set of rules for abbreviations, though can you can ballpark depending on the content of the scenario.

Last edited:
$39.85 plus shipping for boutique anti-freeze (1 gallon!). What's the world coming to?

Originally Posted By: Nayov
$39.85 plus shipping for boutique anti-freeze (1 gallon!). What's the world coming to?

It's good stuff, can save a few bucks if you know the right people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back