Gates Racing Blue Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2009 Forester's P/S and alternator belt is splitting down the middle already. Car only has 60k miles, but I hear most people think Subaru OEM belts are garbage.

So, yesterday, I ordered a set of Gates V Belts (The AC compressor has it's own belt). These are "rubber band" belts....no tensioner.

I could have ordered a Gates Blue Racing Belt. I think it is Kevlar reinforced. It was about $50, instead of $20 for the typical Gates belt.

I've heard mixed reviews over the blue racing belt. But mostly from forums with punk kids and ricer cars that don't know what they are doing.

Anyone here use the Gates Blue Racing Belt?

Don't need the Kevlar belt in a stock application. The gates blue is a good and popular belt. However being Kevlar it doesn't stress as much, it puts more tension on the pulleys. Wearing them and the tensioner more than normal. This doesn't mean you would need to change it sooner, but with the 60000mile timing belt interval the regular black gates/oem is just fine. I know you said Subaru oem isn't any good but don't stray from those two brands for timing belt, there are too many horror stories.
You should also research in depth the tensioner. Oem is the only trusted one for Mitsubishi.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Off-topic -- but a 2009 model that uses V-belts still? I thought they went the way of the carburetor.

Gates calls it a V-belt. It's just the belts for the accessories. That's what I'm referring to. NOT THE TIMING BELT either.

When it comes down to replacing the timing belt, my interval is 90-100k miles I believe.

First of all, it seems like people are confusing the V-Belt with the timing belt. OP is not talking about the timing belt, he’s talking about the V-Belt (AKA the accessories belt, or the serpentine belt). On the ’09 Forester the V-Belt runs the P/S unit and the alternator. There’s a second belt (a stretch-fit belt) that goes to the A/C unit).

OP, I just changed the V-Belt on my ’09 Forester over the weekend and I used Gates belts for both the V-Belt and the A/C belt. Mine wasn’t splitting, but I had purchased the belts almost a year ago and never installed them, then at the end of this winter my belts started making a very mild whine, so I figured I’d might as well replace them since I already have the belts. Granted it’s only been three days, but everything seems to be working fine, and I don’t think there was any reason to pay extra for the Racing Blue belts.

One quick tip which you’d probably immediately figure out yourself, but I might as well mention it. If you follow the shop manual, it says to remove the air intake, remove the belt guard, and loosen the tensioner locking bolt (it’s the one that’s facing you in the middle of the tensioner, as opposed to the one pointing up on top of the tensioner). What the shop manual didn’t state was that you also have to loosen the bolt on the right of the alternator, otherwise the alternator will stay in place and not relieve tension on the belt.

The bolt on the right of the alternator is facing you like the tensioner locking bolt. You just need to loosen it, don’t remove it. You’ll see that the bolt is holding a little bracket where the belt guard wedged into to be supported on the right side of the engine (side opposite the bolt on the belt guard). You’ll also notice that the bolt goes through the alternator, and then is holding a little bracket on the back of the alternator. That’s why you don’t want to overly loosen it, because I’ve heard stories of people who didn’t realize there was a rear bracket on there until they heard the sound of it falling into the engine compartment, then they had to waste time trying to find where it went. You just need to loosen the bolt enough so that the alternator can pivot downwards to reduce tension on the belt. Even though I loosened the bolt I mentioned, my alternator didn’t move much, but with mild pressure from one finger it would pivot down as it was supposed to.

Like I said, I’m sure you would’ve immediately figured this out on your own, but I wanted to include the info just in case you needed it, or someone in the future is doing a web search and comes across the information and finds it helpful.

Originally Posted By: sicko
First of all, it seems like people are confusing the V-Belt with the timing belt. OP is not talking about the timing belt, he’s talking about the V-Belt (AKA the accessories belt, or the serpentine belt).

No...I mean V-belt. A V-belt is different than a serpentine belt. Which does the 2009 Forester use?

223145d1368214532-v-belt-serpentine-belt-belts.jpeg

Due to emmisions and economy standards, V belts have not been used in passenger vehicles in quite some time.

This is a V-belt
214-704d9ee6-14d8-44e3-8aea-f3841c4eff4b-big.jpg

This is a serpentine or "v-ribbed" belt
vrib.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back