Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I have resisted using Facebook bc I am concerned that it can access your associated mailbox? Yes or no? Any tips on using it.

Wife says it does not have access to your email. Also, she says hers is set so that only select people can even see her page (or tweets or whatever it is). It does have options for privacy.

Originally Posted By: Al
I have resisted using Facebook bc I am concerned that it can access your associated mailbox? Yes or no?

No. You are not asked to provide password to your mailbox.

All you need to know about Facebook is the owner believes all information should be available to anyone at any time. It does things you can't believe as far as gathering info. My daughter is deep in the software industry, knows the inside dope and won't go near it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
All you need to know about Facebook is the owner believes all information should be available to anyone at any time. It does things you can't believe as far as gathering info. My daughter is deep in the software industry, knows the inside dope and won't go near it.

If that's the case then why not provide some examples?

I have resisted using Facebook bc I am concerned that it can access your associated mailbox? Yes or no? Any tips on using it.

I have seen requests from Facebook to provide email address and password so they can scan emails to find who else on FB you may know via email address match.

I have no idea if they still do that, I dont use FB much. That said, I never did it, but it also never really bothered me when most everyone has a Gmail address and google is scanning every email to determine how to best sell advertising.

One can be very selective in terms of how to keep and prevent others from accessing information. They can use paper. They could also set up their own domain and email server and use that instead of a corporate (free) one.

I enjoyed Facebook for a time. I was a user for a few years. It came in use for long distance associations and sharing photos/info that friends enjoyed.

I quickly became highly put-off from the entire thing though. It wasn't really a privacy issue.

I think it pretty much boiled down to the fact that many of my Facebook "friends" revealed themselves to be more narcissistic than I realized. In one way I suppose I owe it to Facebook for shining the light on these folks and giving me a new perspective on them. But...I must confess that for a time, I was compelled to feel that I needed to compete with some for best travel photos or daily adventures. In reality, we all lead fairly mundane lives and posting daily activities is really rather dull.

A pretty good amount of non-intrusive controls can be implemented to minimize any access that you mentioned. Your mailbox should be secure.

Although millions enjoy using Facebook, if any sort of real internet privacy is desired....I'd skip being a member. Or, if general comments/opinions from relatives and pseudo-friends tend to bug you...you'd better skip it. It's almost like when you sit around the table at Thanksgiving. Can't say what you really think, and you must tolerate those that irritate you.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I have resisted using Facebook bc I am concerned that it can access your associated mailbox? Yes or no?

No. You are not asked to provide password to your mailbox.

Agreed. Well, it is a fact.
I don't know why someone would tell you that.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
some people really put way to much information on that..

Yeah, you're going to get that anyways...

Not a huge fan of FB, but I like keeping in touch with friends and out of state family. There is drama once in a great while, but it is in everything in life...

Besides, pretty much everything on the internet gathers information on the stuff that you do. FB just happens to be another site for that...

I'm not planning to hide under a rock to avoid the world anyways....otherwise the world will pass you by. Besides, if people want your info bad enough, they will get it...

FB does a pretty good (great?) job of boot-strapping you up and getting your first few dozen friends/ family who've been more or less waiting for you to join. They let others upload their email contacts, when you join, your email address gets cross-referenced. You can be as coy as you want, I recommend leaving off your birthday/ town/ employer/ high school for starters.

I researched (googled) a friend's disease though and some super-cookie thinks I have it. They're coy, they have four banner ads, but said disease pops up in one of the four banners, time and again. I can't be sure if it's FB or Google, but they connected the dots somehow and let an advertiser at it.

This data mining is super, uber creepy. I do a "private window" now whenever I google something remotely sensitive. Even job hunting will make all sorts of help wanted ads pop up elsewhere.

Had FB for a while. Cancelled it about 4 months before I started seriously applying for a new job. No big secret, but FB "friends" aren't really friends, just folks I knew. There is a lot of illusion and slight of hand with the whole package, and I never reactivated the account. Got about an hour a day back into my life too, as a bonus. Just a thought, why do I want to have something for free that makes Zuckerberg an even richer narcissist than he is?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I researched (googled) a friend's disease though and some super-cookie thinks I have it. They're coy, they have four banner ads, but said disease pops up in one of the four banners, time and again. I can't be sure if it's FB or Google, but they connected the dots somehow and let an advertiser at it.

This data mining is super, uber creepy. I do a "private window" now whenever I google something remotely sensitive. Even job hunting will make all sorts of help wanted ads pop up elsewhere.

I did the same thing, on an iPhone no less, and now Google thinks I have it. I know it's Google because FB on the phone does nothing of the sort, and when I go to a regular computer it's also not present. If FB was tracking, even if it didn't show on mobile it would show on my real computer.

Everyone's scared of facebook but Google is the real, scary one.

FB is a great tool if used with knowledge, and wisely. It's so useful to keep in touch and share things when you have a lot of close friends (REAL friends) and family in other countries. Only people who have this situation will understand it.

I have a low number (by most standards these days) of FB friends, and I don't subscribe to a lot of pages, and i NEVER play or accept invites to games and such.

It's really dependent on the user, and user only. There might be a few things that are not under your control, but for the most part I believe that, if you use it in a responsible, careful manner, FB has more advantages than disadvantages.

I am thankful that it exists.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
FB is a great tool if used with knowledge, and wisely. It's so useful to keep in touch and share things when you have a lot of close friends (REAL friends) and family in other countries. Only people who have this situation will understand it.

I have a low number (by most standards these days) of FB friends, and I don't subscribe to a lot of pages, and i NEVER play or accept invites to games and such.

It's really dependent on the user, and user only. There might be a few things that are not under your control, but for the most part I believe that, if you use it in a responsible, careful manner, FB has more advantages than disadvantages.

+1

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

+1

+2. I'm subscribed to quite a few things though. Car related pages, celebrities etc. Ron White posts some funny stuff. Lol.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: AZjeff

If that's the case then why not provide some examples?

Not being very computer literate I couldn't in any detail explain what she told us. Somehow FB reaches out and makes connections to you and gathers data on you that has nothing to do with your membership or your "friends" or your consumer habits. My late 20s, conservative, successful daughter is very concerned about what FB is doing, in her field of expertise she's seldom wrong, that's all I need to know. I choose not to be part of FB's database.

Quote:
I think it pretty much boiled down to the fact that many of my Facebook "friends" revealed themselves to be more narcissistic than I realized. In one way I suppose I owe it to Facebook for shining the light on these folks and giving me a new perspective on them. But...I must confess that for a time, I was compelled to feel that I needed to compete with some for best travel photos or daily adventures. In reality, we all lead fairly mundane lives and posting daily activities is really rather dull.

A pretty good amount of non-intrusive controls can be implemented to minimize any access that you mentioned. Your mailbox should be secure.

Although millions enjoy using Facebook, if any sort of real internet privacy is desired....I'd skip being a member. Or, if general comments/opinions from relatives and pseudo-friends tend to bug you...you'd better skip it. It's almost like when you sit around the table at Thanksgiving. Can't say what you really think, and you must tolerate those that irritate you.

andrewg,

Yep. + 1000000000

Never been on FB as I'm 53 and don't care about what 'friends' , coworkers, family, neighbors, etc.... are doing or where they go on vacation. The thing about FB is that some families have destroyed their relationship because of a few snarky posts by some relatives.

Seems like too many people are trying to 'one up' the other person and trying to be someone they are not.

Google: Facebook feud in San Antonio

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Everyone's scared of facebook but Google is the real, scary one.

A few other forums I visit have banner ads. Things my wife has Googled on her computer, will show up as advertisements on my computer. Facebook isn't the problem. Carry on.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
...This data mining is super, uber creepy...

^This.

Facebook matched me up with a former coworker. I had never mentioned the former employer, nor the person's name, she moved to downstate Illinois since we've worked together, and I didn't actively search for her but one day she popped up in one of FB's "People you may know" suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back