Does gear oil lose its smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a chance to spend "quality" time under my car today. Found a patch of fresh oil under it. No smell, but clear, and thick like motor oil. I guess it is possible I spilled oil at the last oci, but this oil is behind the front suspension, way back. I find it hard to believe it is back there from a spill. I could not find a leak on the trans, and it appears full--but the same color oil. Mind you engine oil in my car is pitch black, so it is not from the engine sump.

Can gear lube lose its smell if exposed to air for a long time?

I was under my Tahoe yesterday, and got a few spots of Amsoil on my sweatshirt (changing diff fluids). It reeks, I have the feeling it becomes a rag now.

No, gear oil always has that aroma! I'd bet it was brake fluid...When was the last time you checked hoses and such? Take a look and see if the reservoir is topped off.

Originally Posted By: mjk
I was under my Tahoe yesterday, and got a few spots of Amsoil on my sweatshirt (changing diff fluids). It reeks, I have the feeling it becomes a rag now.

The Ford/Motorcraft XL-3 limited slip friction modifier is 1000x WORSE!!
37.gif

DO NOT get any on ANY clothes, as then they could not even be used as a rag, and must be thrown away (after being put into about 10 plastic bags!!!).

I did brakes this fall, including fluid. Right color, I guess it could have gotten viscous? I popped the top, and it has fluid, but I could not read the level. But it is on that side, and could have drained down the firewall, and it would end in that area. Hmm, I do not like that!

Strut, hmm, not close, and the strut is about two years old so it should be fine. I think anyhow. I did not see oil on the control arm, nor on the strut, so I do not think it is that.

Looks like I will have to park until I can look again.
frown.gif
I knew I should have put the all seasons back onto the truck instead.

Last edited:
I looked, and the res was between min and max, albeit not running. I do think the box is in that area, but could not see real well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Looks like I will have to park until I can look again.

Put some cardboard under it while its parked. Then you'll have a clean slate and be able to see if it is actively leaking.

It is a fresh stain on the car. Most of the Fluid Film has dried up or at least gotten really "dirty". Otherwise I would not have noticed.

I just looked up how to check PS, and it appears I can check with engine off. Level was ok. I might run it today and see what comes of it.

Dawned on me during the drive in that it could be from the clutch master cylinder too. Not sure where that is located, but it is in that area too.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I spilled the used, seemingly original gear oil on the carpet of the Cherokee.

No more carpet ...

I made a boneheaded move last summer, carrying some gear lube with a poor fitting cap up to my boat, then forgetting I had it in the back of my RAV4. Needless to say, I spilled about 3 oz that seeped deep into my seats. Wife still complains about the smell.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I spilled the used, seemingly original gear oil on the carpet of the Cherokee.

No more carpet ...

I made a boneheaded move last summer, carrying some gear lube with a poor fitting cap up to my boat, then forgetting I had it in the back of my RAV4. Needless to say, I spilled about 3 oz that seeped deep into my seats. Wife still complains about the smell.

Even with the removal of the rear carpet, it still smells like gear oil in there on a hot day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back