2010 Chrysler Town and Country headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step daughter asked me to look at the headlights in her 2010 Chrysler T&C. It appears to have HID bulbs, as one of them is now a pinkish/purple hue, not white like the other one. I am not very familiar with HID systems, but if what I have found while researching this, it seems that the bulb might be going bad. Is this the general thinking? I also found that it takes a D1S HID bulb, which I am finding are not cheap for just one bulb! I should probably replace both bulbs too. Any thoughts on what to buy and where to buy them. Summit Racing has a pair of Matrix bulbs for $100, but I don't know if I should trust an off brand here. Like I stated, I am not that familiar with HID, so any help here would be appreciated.

Last edited:
hidplanet.com is probably the best site for HID advices. In general, the highest quality and most reliable HID Bulb brands are Philips and Osram.

I understand trying to save money but it is what it is. Do you want your daughter (minivan, driving your grandchildren around?) with substandard lighting while trying to save a few bucks? Find the cheapest OE replacement bulbs locally, buy a pair, and get her back on the road with proper lighting ASAP.

If I bought an aftermarket bulb, it'd be only from a reputable brand, like Philips. Philips may very well have been the OE supplier, I don't know. I'd think that it's uncommon for an OEM HID bulb to expire so soon (only four years). But put in the best you or she can afford.

yes^^^

the pink hue is from aging.

yes, replacing them in pairs is also best. and yes to going to a local parts shop and buying a known brand such as philips. there is a lot of cheap HID junk out there that throws light but may not be as pleasant, useful, or safe color rendering.

do NOT touch the quartz with fingers, if you do clean it well preferably with ammonia, wiped dry.

Quartz has not been used as a bulb cover for many years now. The glass now used does not absorb oil and grease. Just keep it relatively clean and it will be fine.

First thing first; have you swapped the bulbs from left to right to see if the problem lies with the bulb or the igniter?

I haven't done that yet, I was waiting for her to come back over when there is time to switch them. Isn't the D1S bulb a combo bulb/igniter, a one piece thing? That was my understanding for what I had researched.

osram or phillips would be my choice for a bulb, although I have had good luck with a $30 pair of ebay bulbs, they've been going for the last 3 years, and yes pink means the bulb is failing

Thanks for everyones replies. I switched sides with the possible bad bulb. The good bulb worked on the bad side, and the bad bulb doesn't work at all now, so it was probably ready to go.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Yes, it should be a combination bulb and igniter. Check this Amazon page for a picture (and a good price on a Sylvania/Osram bulb):

http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-High-Intensity-Discharge-Bulb/dp/B00265FXTA

Thanks for the link, I never thought to check them. I ordered them and made it in time to get next day shipping. Even with the shipping and price of the bulbs, it was way, way less than my local parts stores.

Hey at least you are replacing the proper way! You wouldn't believe how many people want HID's but won't pay the price when the bulbs fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back