Youtube videos of some filters cut away before use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gives an indication of most construction techniques vs cost.

Of course no oil filter comparison is complete without the obligatory Fram defect/bashing, lol.

I'm wondering if some of Puralator's issues are what Z06 suspects, tears that are more likely to happen during winter months when oil is thicker at start up due to cold? There does appear to be more failures during the winter period.

Good videos. Thanks for posting. As for Purolator tears, I would recommend that you investigate how long they were used in an OCI against the number of tears reported. You may notice that a lot more tears are reported when the filter is used in too lengthy of an interval. I.E.: Using a white can for 5k miles.

Feel free to look back through my threads. I have posted many different filters, all used within "reasonable" interval ranges, NONE of which have tears. Classics, Pureones and Synthetics. Just food for thought!

All those guys must have a "filter cutting certificate", as I didn't see any tears in the media from cutting. LoL

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
I'm wondering if some of Puralator's issues are what Z06 suspects, tears that are more likely to happen during winter months when oil is thicker at start up due to cold? There does appear to be more failures during the winter period.

Filters used over the cold winter months definitely take some abuse. Oil filters should be designed to withstand that use environment. If they are not designed well, then subjecting them to a harsh environment like that will push them over the edge and cause media tearing.

As I've said many time, I think the fact that the Purolators have wide pleat spacing near the seam, have what seems like brittle media, and then getting high forces on the pleats from cold thick oil pushes them to the limit and the media lets go in that area. It's the same failure, and last year at this time is when all the media tears were reported as people changed their oil & filter that was used over the winter. And now we are seeing a few more Purolators with tears this spring.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Filters used over the cold winter months definitely take some abuse. Oil filters should be designed to withstand that use environment. If they are not designed well, then subjecting them to a harsh environment like that will push them over the edge and cause media tearing.

As I've said many time, I think the fact that the Purolators have wide pleat spacing near the seam, have what seems like brittle media, and then getting high forces on the pleats from cold thick oil pushes them to the limit and the media lets go in that area. It's the same failure, and last year at this time is when all the media tears were reported as people changed their oil & filter that was used over the winter. And now we are seeing a few more Purolators with tears this spring.

Good points, thanks.

As for wavy media, I think that shows good spring tension and as the media becomes saturated with oil its likely to become wavy. I don't really believe that is much of an issue.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
All those guys must have a "filter cutting certificate", as I didn't see any tears in the media from cutting. LoL
What about the pleat on the Fram in the third video?

Manufacturing defect, unfortunately all filters probably have a few of those, whether crimped with a metal collar or glued. The idea is hopefully QC catches most, but a few are bound to get through I think.

I was most impressed with the guys shooting, pretty good, lol.

Not an easy task as you have lots of posts. lol

Joe, here are some pictures of the last couple puros I cut open (all tear free.) I will have two more to post here in the next month or so! Enjoy.

Ranges from 2010-2012 if I remember correctly. These are older pictures (uploaded last year), but they are the only ones I could find off hand to re-upload. There are two different models there. My truck uses the PL/PSL 14670 and my wifes Escape uses the PL/PSL 22500. Hang tight Zee, I have a 2014 Pureone coming off my truck in two weeks, then Im starting the Fram Ultra Challenge!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I have a 2014 Pureone coming off my truck in two weeks, then Im starting the Fram Ultra Challenge!

Prelude to vacation? LoL ...
grin.gif

Thanks jk_636, more information is a good thing.

No problem Joe. I post at least one filter every couple months and I use Purolators exclusively. Having said that, I did purchase two Fram Ultras recently to do a side by side compare and contrast between Fram Ultra and Purolator Synthetic. The experiment should be done by the end of summer. Stay tuned, it will be a good read. It may even change Zee06's mind, you never know!
cool.gif

Perhaps. If that FU tears and the Puro was just fine it will definetely ruffle some feathers around here...lol
whistle.gif

A FUs chance of tearing is basically zero compared to a Purolator.

I did purchase two Fram Ultras recently to do a side by side compare and contrast between Fram Ultra and Purolator Synthetic. The experiment should be done by the end of summer. Stay tuned, it will be a good read. It may even change Zee06's mind, you never know!
cool.gif

I've said many times that I would use a Purolator full synthetic, but not the Classic or PureOne anymore unless there is proof they've been fixed. You wouldn't change my mind on that one however.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back