Michelin vs. Pirelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, the new tires are ON! I opted for the Michelin Premier A/S and here's how it went down:

I took the loose wheels to the store and had them dismount the old tires. I then took my bare wheels back home and cleaned up 16 years of gunk from the bead area. I washed and waxed everything and even put the wheels on my balancer to see how they balanced out without tires. Each of my four wheels were precisely .20 grams out of balance on the inner and outer lip.

I then went back to the store with my clean wheels and had them mount the tires. It went perfectly.

I learned that the Michelin tires have a softer sidewall in comparison due to the Michelin using only one polyester ply in the sidewall whereas the Pirelli uses two. You can feel the difference in a big way.

The Michelin is also made using sunflower oil... for whatever role that plays.

I will definitely put the Pirelli tires on my Volkswagen when it comes due. As for now, the ride is 100% improved over the former BFGoodrich that were 10 years old and worn out.

In all, I spent $529.34 for tires and I'll get a $70 rebate making my expense $459.34

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful discussion and advice. You guys are great!

Ohh, and one last thing. I can not say enough good things about the guys at Discount Tire in Peachtree City, Georgia. I am a royal pain in the butt about things and these guys did everything I asked of them with a smile. I hand picked my tires from their inventory, I assisted in the dismount and mount procedure, the obliged me with taking my wheels and coming back later for mounting, etc.

I was impressed and I'm not easily impressed. I think someone is getting donuts in the morning next week.

Sounds like a great experience and you got a great set of tires! An all around fantastic experience
thumbsup2.gif

The sunflower oil apparently helps keep the rubber pliable in very cold weather for better winter weather performance.

There is one unknown variable with new tires causing perceptible drag compared to old ones: pressure.
Do you know PSI of your old set compared to the new ones?

Another option: sticking caliper.

Krzyś

Post back on the tires.

I am debating Pirelli P7 vs Premier for my wife's 2005 Legacy GT. Sadly its much more spendy in her odd tire size (215/55/17) at $730 installed locally.

I have been debating the Michelin Premier A/S, Pirelli P7 AS+, and the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology. After reading over all of the reviews, and looking at the warranties etc. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Continentals for my 2012 Subaru Legacy once the next good sale comes around, they seem to be the best bang for the buck to me for a top tier tire in this class.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
After this past horror of a winter, I can attest to the Yokohama
Avid Envigor being very good in snow and rain as well as the dry. So equiped the car goes where it's pointed without drama, noise, or slip while also dealing well with snow, slush, and rain. I've got 205 60s on 15X7 alloys ( a bit larger than the Camry OEM) and the ride is better than I expected. They required very little in the way of balance weights, which is a good indicator of quality.

Interesting on the Yokohama Avid Envigor. For us the worst tire we have owned in terms of winter traction however incredible otherwise and great life on my wife's 2005 Legacy turbo wagon.

I live in your locale(coastal NH) but maybe since ours are W-rated tires.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Post back on the tires.

I am debating Pirelli P7 vs Premier for my wife's 2005 Legacy GT. Sadly its much more spendy in her odd tire size (215/55/17) at $730 installed locally.

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus I just installed on my 2014.5 Camry SE were 215/55R 17 94V. I purchased the V speed rated tire but the H rated tire is about $ 5 per tire less expensive.

I bought the tires at Sams Club and the OTD price was $627.75. Their $80 instant rebate expires at COB today. Pirelli is also offering a $60 Visa card rebate on purchases thru 5/4/15. Every few months, both Sams Club and Pirelli seem to cycle their rebates on purchases. I jumped on this one trying for the dual rebates instead of waiting till later this Fall to replace the tires. Since it is my daily driver, I didn't want to sacrifice ride and performance anymore while just accumulating miles on a factory tire I do not like driving in the rain, etc.

On almost every car forum that I frequent, the Pirelli's are highly rated. I hope I have as good of performance and longevity as others. One thing is certain- immediately after installation, the nimble Camry SE handled like it should have from the factory. The factory Bridgestone Turanza's diminished the handling and responsiveness of the sporty Camry SE sedan. Poor choice by Toyota for this variant, IMHO. YMMV

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Post back on the tires.

It is 215/45R17 OE.
Acceptable sizes are 205/50R17 and 225/45R17.

Krzyś

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Ohh, and one last thing. I can not say enough good things about the guys at Discount Tire in Peachtree City, Georgia. I am a royal pain in the butt about things and these guys did everything I asked of them with a smile. I hand picked my tires from their inventory, I assisted in the dismount and mount procedure, the obliged me with taking my wheels and coming back later for mounting, etc.

I was impressed and I'm not easily impressed. I think someone is getting donuts in the morning next week.

Obviously I don't have any experience with your local DT services, my experiences with few local AT(America's Tire) in So Cal is pretty much the same as yours. AT/DT and DTD are the same company with different name in different states, but their services is second to none.

One of the reasons I don't buy tires from either Sams Club or Costco is their services, they don't accept appointment for rotation/balance where I live in South Orange County, and waiting for any tire service can be as long as 1-2 hours or longer.

With appointment at local AT they can do balance/rotation in less than 20 minutes.

Also, you must be current member to receive any service even if you were a member when you bought your tire but you're no longer paid member.

Their tire selections is limited to few brands and models, not as wide choices as AT and DT. And they don't price match lower online price.

I agree HTSS, I am a Sam's club member but their automotive facility is a bad joke at my store. The people are rude, lack knowledge, and act like jerks in general.

I bought a battery from them once and they would not let me step into their service bay to drop my core off. They requested that I carry it completely around the building and enter the store from the front and bring it to their automotive desk. Batteries are heavy and I didn't have a cart and I took offense to their idiocy.

As for tires, they sell a couple of brands,, usually not in my size or load/speed rating so I don't even shop them for these items.

Discount tire let me hang out in their service bay while they worked on my car (loose wheels), they let me go upstairs to their storage area to choose the four tires I wanted, they dismounted my tires and let me take my wheels home to clean them.. all without paying a penny. Most places would probably require that I make my purchase prior to having them do any work but these guys were just easy to deal with. And to think that Sam's club wouldn't even let me set a battery inside of their service bay area. Wow...

Originally Posted By: FowVay

A nice letter to their supervisors will be a good thing too, if you have the time.

It will be a long term benefits for them. Short term, donuts, are a great idea too
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back