What's the best (cheapest) way to send back cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I have to return brake caliper cores (heavy) to Rock Auto and was wondering which is cheaper in your experience...UPS or the Post Office?

The cheapest is probably a flat rate box from the USPS. In the case for my Dodge Ram, the old calipers are waiting to be scrapped. Postage was more than the core charge.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have to return brake caliper cores (heavy) to Rock Auto and was wondering which is cheaper in your experience...UPS or the Post Office?

It depends entirely on the weight and destination. Measure the size and weight of the package, go to the UPS and USPS websites, plug in your numbers, and it will give you cost for various options.

Fedex ground wins for me, but not their retail rates, open an account with your creditcard and ship with that account number.

(I ship frequently but not enough to negotiate a further discount from Fedex)

I returned a radiator I ended up not needing back to "Rockauto" (it was actually Nissens warehouse on the TX border.) Cost $12 which is about what I paid them to ship the rad to me in the first place. I'm in Virginia.

Yah, buy local. Or fix them yourself. I have an Auto Zone 2 miles down the road and various parts outlets heading further in toward Boston. The Rat has a basicly new brake system with many A-Z parts. And total shot in the dark, parts for the 528e. I had looked it up and it was there. Order it at the counter. Monday. Guy said it was gonna be in Wednesday and we'll call you. Next morning,just before lunch. I took a strange number on my phone. It was a very polite young lady informing me that my 6 dollars worth of gaskets was in. A day early. The guy padded the time to cover for the team. Good policy. I will not give up the core if it is electric or fuel system until I am satisfied that the part I just put on is better than the one I just took off.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Hello, Take your time and cut down a strong box and make it the smallest size you can.
Obviously, wrap it in a bag so it doesn't leak.
USPS is hard to beat.
In my neck of the woods the UPS self service desk at a Staples store is unbeatable for larger/bulkier packages.
FedEx, Emery, DHL are "the BIG leagues" if you're a small fish. Kira

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Have rock auto send a core tag?

Gotta pay outta your own pocket according to them.

If that's the case, what makes Rock Auto better than say AAP with codes and in store pickup?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Have rock auto send a core tag?

Gotta pay outta your own pocket according to them.

If that's the case, what makes Rock Auto better than say AAP with codes and in store pickup?

Good question! Even though you're not asking me, I'll answer for the experience that I have in this case!
smile.gif

It can often be the final cost and how much a person wants to get involved. I have done both but, at different times. My Example:

I bought 2 rear caliper for the Mazda in my signature.

First one(Rear Pass Side 2011) I bought in 2011 for less money from RA including shipping & returning the core. The difference in this case after returning the core to RA(compared to AAP) was
smirk.gif
.........$11

After all was said & done; Ahhhhhh, not really worth it!

2nd one(Rear Drive Side 2014), was again a bit more money at AAP w/code and return core locally but, this time, not worth the little bit of difference. So, I chose to buy locally!

People have to weigh the cost & running around difference between the two, and make their own decision! Keeping in mind that the shipping to & from RA is factored in depending on your ZIP CODE! It may be worth it for one person but, not for another. OR in my case, not worth the little difference in dollars!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Or fix them yourself.

This

If replacing a factory installed caliper, I'd keep the core and rebuild it myself to use later. Nobody I know has had good luck with these parts store remans, but when I rebuild calipers myself they last a long time.

Some factory calipers are expensive (last time I priced a toyota truck 4-piston caliper it was $800) and when you send this in to use as a core (when it needs a $20 piston and $10 seal set) you get ripped off and lose a real gem.

I ended up using the USPS and sending both back for $20.05.
The core charge was $48 so I'm $28 ahead.
I haven't had good luck with AA reman clipers so I went with AC 'loaded' calipers and AC rotors....hopefully I'll have better luck than the AA's.

Does RockAuto require the cores be in the original packaging? Ford and Mazda require it and I swear no matter how clear I explain it customer do not understand that concept. I even print it on the receipt for the parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back