Confused by PAG Oil Viscosities for 98 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Im looking to replace the leaky HT6 compressor on my 98 Chevy S-10. AC still works but its a leaky mess.

So I to to Sanden, or I go to Omega/Alpha Air, or I go to Rock Auto, and I seem to get conflicting info....

More specifically, there are like ten different variants of this compressor... (actually like six on the one and countless on the other)

Look here:

http://action-ac.com/AC-APP/AUTO/1998/Chevrolet/S10/V6 4.3L 262cid/

or here:

=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]...hope this works

The compressors, depending upon manufacturer, spec between PAG 46 and PAG 150 oils for the compressor. I dont know what GM installed as OEM.

How much does it really matter? I dont want to cause damage or harm, but the fact that the specs are all over the place for the same unit tell me it doesnt really matter much...

Recommendations?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Are you looking for a one size fits all recommendation? I'd just go with whatever the compressor you end up buying specs.

No.

I have a truck that was fit from the factory with an H6 compressor and filled with oil of some kind. Maybe PAG 100 or 150.

Im looking to replace the compressor. Could be a repacement Delphi, but others have recommended the Sanden variant. No one can be THAT different from the other, and theyre all supposed to be drop ins for one another.

So how do they all recommend different viscosities?

Say the system holds 8 oz and was filled originally with PAG 150.

Now say one installs the omega variant that requires PAG 48.

I highly doubt that most swaps will include a complete system flush, rather they will just install the compressor (if it has oil in it), or add as much as the old one dropped out.

Originally Posted By: Trav
From the books i have here the H6 takes 8oz PAG 150.
Measuring the old may not be accurate if its been leaking.

Yeah thats why Im surprised that some of the models say they take PAG 48.

Further, Sanden themselves discontinued their Sanden 20 (100cSt) PAG oil, and so 80 is the lightest they get (SP-15), which supposedly comes out the same spigot at Dow as the fluids for the OEMs. http://www.sanden.com/oilspecs.html

When I changed the compressor in my Buick, I went with a new ACDelco compressor and I used PAG 150 oil. If memory serves correct, I think I used 3 ounces for the compressor. Somebody told me it's 3 ounces for the compressor and then 1 ounce for each additional component you'd replace like a hose, condensing unit, or evaporator.

Use the oil the compressor manufacturer calls for, Flush the entire system with A/C flush, Replace orifice tube & Drier.

If the compressor comes charged with oil, Minus that from 8oz. And add that amount throughout system.

If dry, Add 4oz. to the compressor, Then the other 4oz. throughout the system.

Pull the orifice tube, You will see it needs a flush!

I would go with the Sanden Unit or Seltec-Valeo if you can get it. I would not get a four-seasons or anything like that. On both of my 98 Chevy full size trucks, I used a Seltec-Valeo replacement on both of these trucks and they have held up great. I don't know if they have one for your truck.

I used PAG 150 in both of these but use whatever the compressor manufacturer recommends.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back