expanding exhaust tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up new mufflers for the Oldsmobile and was planning to bolt them up myself. Has anybody used those pipe expanders like they rent at the parts store, did it work? These is factory 1-7/8 tubing so not super high end but not cheap aluminized either. If that won't work what will? This is a budget car and taking it to a shop is absolutely out of the question.

Fully refunded deposit on return of tool. I do not have any relationships with exhaust shops like that.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Fully refunded deposit on return of tool. I do not have any relationships with exhaust shops like that.
You walk in carrying BOTH items.

Doesn't the muffler have a slip fit? I'm confused.

They have adapters that'll change a 1.875 outie to a 2 innie or anything else you could dream of cobbling together.

It's been my experience that common wrench-turned expanders are better for making dinged and bent ends round again more so than actually expanding things.

I've had good luck with a tail pipe expander making a stainless steel pipe slip on my factory exhaust, you just have to make sure you have the leverage to put the force in and expand the pipe but not too much that you crack it.

Well, I'm half in luck. Looks like these walker mufflers are designed to slip over the factory pipes after you cut the OEM mufflers off. Unfortunately the passenger side was replaced once before and after clamping it over the pipe they ran a solid weld along the seam. Looks like I'm going to have to cobble something together on that side...

Those screw type expanders only seem to work if the pipe is heated with a torch right before.

OK, so I knocked out the driver side and it went pretty well. I've never heard of this but youtube had some guy using an exhaust clamp to shrink the tubing which I what I did. Basically you clamp down the open end and then hit along both edges of the all the way around a couple times, then move the clamp a little and rotate 90 degress and repeat. It takes a little time but it actually worked great! Slid the new muffler over the slightly shrunken pipe and clamped it up nice and tight. Lines up perfect and no leaks! I figure I'll go back in a few days and re-snug the clamp but otherwise it sure looks and feels good, and actually sounds like a family sedan again
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back