01 Tahoe shock replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Looking for feedback on aftermarket shocks for an 01 Tahoe. I have 2 that are leaking. I will not be pursuing Bilstein, given their prices, so would appreciate focus on other brands.

I've heard in previous threads, that the Gabriel Ultras are a good value. Can anyone confirm this, for this application?

I'm most likely going to be looking at Monroe, KYB, or possibly Gabriel.

Thanks.

Edit: In doing a search, the Bilstein 5100 series has been offered up many times. I wonder if I need to re-think this.

Last edited:
I replaced all shocks om our 2003 Suburban Z71 last summer and got the red AC Delco recommended but ended up with SkyJacker gas shocks. So far im happy with them but way to early to say if they are good due to lifetime.

If its a Z71,the Bilstein would have been OEM,and tailored to the chassis setup.A lot of aftermarket stuff is generic or "close enough".

Monroe or Gabriel. I look for a lifetime warranty and price. The springs have to greatest impact on your ride. I doubt you could tell the differences in ride with any new shock.

IMO Bilsteins are almost unbeatable, but pricey.

You already know I am a big Gabriel Ultra fan. Super shock for decent coin and warranted for life.

And made a huge difference in our fleet trucks in ride quality. Instantly noticeable.

How many miles on the truck and how much longer do you want to keep it? I have 5100's on my F150, love them and hope they "never" need to be replaced.

I just went to AZ, and they have the Ultras for 39.00 each. Rather sure, that will be the way I go.

Regarding mileage, I have 75k on it, and it is not the z71 suspension (LS edition).

I have the feeling that since this truck sat as much as it did, it must have somehow contributed to 2 shocks failing with such low mileage. I've noticed a few other things with it, since I bought it. IMHO, sitting can sometimes be worse than heavy driving....

If you aren't looking to lift I would highly recommend Bistein 4600 series. They are built the same as the 5100 series but are only available in OEM length (not for lifted trucks): http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/images/bilstein-5100-vs-bilstein-heavy-duty.cfm

I just replaced the rear factory Rancho shocks on my 2014 Sierra. I had a clunky noise coming from the rear suspension and found out one of my shocks was bad. I decided to go with Bistein 4600 and paid $146 shipped for the pair. They ride is maybe a little better then the OEM Rancho's but where they really shine is controlling bounce. With my factory shocks, the truck would continue to bounce when hitting a dip in the road at highway speed. With the Bistein the truck recovers almost instantly. A way better shock overall. I'm tempted to replace the front factory shocks now!

How worried are you about ride quality.

I put KYBs on my 3/4 ton Chevy. Love them, but it rides rough. That is ok because all the truck does is tow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back