neighbor vandalized my floodlight, my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The police telling you they can't do anything without video is a [censored] copout...tell them you've seen the guy so you know who it is...they can at least go talk to the guy...that might be enough to get him to stop...

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I think a motion detector on the light would solve the whole issue.

This......

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I'm going to contact our HOA on Monday. If nothing I'll ask what can be done, I'm leaning towards getting video camera set up. I will put up a no trespass sign on the gate with a lock. I will fix the floodlight, if he damages it again, I'll report to police with my video footage. I'm sure when he sees the trespass sign, he'll come ringing my doorbell right away.

I live in the city by the way, I'm only 3 miles from downtown.

A dummy camera with a LED pilot light can do wonders.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Have you talked to him? Politely?

I get called in to deal with neighbor disputes in code enforcement periodically. (Not involving lights). It is amazing to see how many of you think the first step here is to call the police /etc... 90% of the time, these problems can be solved through civil conversation between neighbors. We usually suggest a six pack (of a good beer) and it works more often that not.

Guessing the guy doesn't like the way your lights are aimed. Odds are you can adjust it and satisfy both of you.

Be the bigger man and solve the problem, instead of acting childishly (like your neighbor is right now).

If he's in the other 10%, then go the other routes. You won't look as childish if you at least offered to help solve whatever the problem is. Trust me - that goes a long ways into who in any enforcement sides with who down the road...

And to expect others to fight your battles because of what he may do... I don't even know what to say...

I agree totally.

Go over there, relax, stay calm and ask him what is up and if there is a possible resolution that will satisfy both parties.

You could also camp out in the shadows and wait for him to come over to ring your door bell or unscrew your lights and politely ask him what's up. Something along the lines of "Hey Bob?! How are you doing tonight? What's up man- you looking for something?" and let him take it from there. Then if he starts in about the lights, see if you can work towards a mutual agreement.

All this noise about contacting the HOA or the police is silly when you haven't even taken any steps in resolving it yourself. Contacting the HOA or police is a form of escalation- and why escalate a situation when a friendly talk may very well do the job?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I think the OP is worried about going over to speak to his neighbor.

Yes, he fears he's going to get shot or stabbed
21.gif

cuteh, pls STAY away from you lunatic neighbor.

1. Call the police and log a report
2. how is he reaching the light? is he really tall?
3. use cellphone with ispy software and ispy on desktop to record
4. fence your front yard and lock it at night.

Your neighborhood looks like my sister's home in Franklin, TN.

You found me! It's a small world. PM sent. I hope Mr. Nice's sister isn't married to Mr. Evil.
grin.gif

I get called in to deal with neighbor disputes in code enforcement periodically. (Not involving lights). It is amazing to see how many of you think the first step here is to call the police /etc... 90% of the time, these problems can be solved through civil conversation between neighbors. We usually suggest a six pack (of a good beer) and it works more often that not.

Guessing the guy doesn't like the way your lights are aimed. Odds are you can adjust it and satisfy both of you.

Be the bigger man and solve the problem, instead of acting childishly (like your neighbor is right now).

If he's in the other 10%, then go the other routes. You won't look as childish if you at least offered to help solve whatever the problem is. Trust me - that goes a long ways into who in any enforcement sides with who down the road...

And to expect others to fight your battles because of what he may do... I don't even know what to say...

I don't know if it's where society is headed, or if it's just on the forum, but I'm always shocked when the first thing people want to do is call the police or a lawyer. Even worse are the suggestions to escalate the situation with more immature behavior.
Installing a motion detector and re-aiming the lights would be a good first step. If you see the neighbor, have a conversation. If you're really concerned about being hurt, take a friend or other neighbor.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: bradepb
Strange way for your neighbor to act but I totally get the annoying lights thing. Why do people feel they have to light up there yard like Vegas?
The two single girls next door have 3 large dogs and there yard is lit up with halogen spotlights. I cant enjoy my yard at night or the stars. I have lived here for over 30 years and have never heard of any crime.
Same here. City folk move out here then light up the place all night long like vegas, complain about the smell of chickens, cows etc.

LoL..."city folk"? What are you...Ma and Pa Kettle?

This guy lives in a development that came with floodlights already installed.

Lights equal a measure of security. In case you haven;'t been off the "farm" lately, people get murdered and broken into constantly. Unlocked doors and/or windows are one bog cause...the other is not having outdoor lighting.

I'll tell you what....if you ever have the misfortune of being robbed or attacked in the middle of the night, you'll change your mind about living in the 1950's and realize how dangerous people are. You'll install lights and an alarm system, buy guns, and get a big dog...all within a week.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Planned communities, HOA's, Houses built 10 feet from each other. And neighbors wonder why they irritate each other??

Not saying that someone/anyone has the right to vandalize your property, But realize that flood lights pointed at someone else's house is annoying.

The floodlights were installed from the builder and were part of the community from the start.

Who said the lights were directly pointed at the fool next door?

Where do you live Mr. Nice? Mayberry?

This idiot sounds like he's got mental issues. The risk to go over to his property and knock on his door is not worth taking. People today have been shot for less.

This guy could also say that he was being threatened. It could all get turned around against the OP. He could also get his car vandalized in return or some other property damage. The neighbor is a nut job.

The OP should record what he can record....then get with the police and make them "protect and serve" the community. Thinking you are Ward Cleaver and talking things out like a decent human being....is dangerous and ill-advised these days.

Sad...but that is how it is.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

This idiot sounds like he's got mental issues. The risk to go over to his property and knock on his door is not worth taking. People today have been shot for less.

This guy could also say that he was being threatened. It could all get turned around against the OP. He could also get his car vandalized in return or some other property damage. The neighbor is a nut job.

The OP should record what he can record....then get with the police and make them "protect and serve" the community. Thinking you are Ward Cleaver and talking things out like a decent human being....is dangerous and ill-advised these days.

And you've pretty much just demonstrated the stereotype of American towns that many Canadians think of unfortunately
frown.gif
My one neighbour is a school teacher, my other neighbour works at the local Uni. We have some "rentals" across the street but they are generally decent people.

When I was wrenching on the Lincoln at 10:30PM one night, my neighbour came over and asked me if I could stop, I was keeping her up. It was a civil conversation, I apologized for the noise and nothing else came of it.

We don't have an HOA or anything of that sort.

It is sad when people are afraid of those that live around them. A culture of fear doesn't help anybody.

What a cop-out.

This neighbor has already shown he is in the "10%" range. He's trespassed and harassed the OP. Don't you see that?

Cops these days...geesh. Always avoiding helping others unless they are forced to. It's always put upon the victim to put themselves in danger...just to get a cop to help them AVOID further problems.

Knocking on this guys door and talking to him invites danger. The guy has already shown he is strange.

You think the OP is "expecting others to fight his battles"? Well, I don't know what to say. He needs help and hasn't done ANYTHING wrong.

As a cop (I am assuming you are) you should be ashamed. You guys pull out a gun because a guy walks too close to you...but yet you expect the OP to go knock on this nut-cases door and "fight his own battle"??

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

And you've pretty much just demonstrated the stereotype of American towns that many Canadians think of unfortunately
frown.gif
My one neighbour is a school teacher, my other neighbour works at the local Uni. We have some "rentals" across the street but they are generally decent people.

When I was wrenching on the Lincoln at 10:30PM one night, my neighbour came over and asked me if I could stop, I was keeping her up. It was a civil conversation, I apologized for the noise and nothing else came of it.

We don't have an HOA or anything of that sort.

It is sad when people are afraid of those that live around them. A culture of fear doesn't help anybody.

Good gosh...."A culture of fear"?? What media soundbite did you grab that from? What a silly phrase.

No, not all American neighborhoods are dangerous or cause one to pause before talking with a neighbor. But given the explanation and description of the OP's neighbor.....it would be wise to avoid confrontation as this guy is obviously a flake.

I grant you your opinion however. I hope you grant me mine.

Most middle class communities in my neck of the woods are rife with druggies and violent types. Yes...I need to move. This is my second move in three years attempting to get into a better community....but it's almost everywhere. Just yesterday a local moron was driving his four wheeler around the neighborhood streets going about 40mph. It's illegal...and children are at risk as well as being highly annoying. I wave the guy down and ask him to please stop and explain to him the reasons why. He flips me off and laughs as he drives off.

Afraid of my neighbors? Not really....but I would not trust them in times of crisis....let alone knock on a door with a problem.

Where I live (and have lived before this) people are nutty and have ZERO class.

Good gosh...."A culture of fear"?? What media soundbite did you grab that from? What a silly phrase.

I don't think it is silly at all. When people think that everybody around them is out to get them and live in a neighbourhood where they won't talk to their neighbours because they are afraid of being shot or stabbed, that sir, is a culture of fear.

No, not all American neighborhoods are dangerous or cause one to pause before talking with a neighbor. But given the explanation and description of the OP's neighbor.....it would be wise to avoid confrontation as this guy is obviously a flake.

Actually, you just called my opinion "silly", whether you've granted me mine or not. You are certainly entitled to yours, my observation was that it aligned with the stereotype many Canadians use when they think of American towns. I didn't say it was silly.

I agree that his neighbour sounds "off" but nothing he's done would indicate that he's inclined to violence or should be feared. It sounds like he's not keen on confrontation so is using this passive-aggressive tactic to try and make the OP "get the hint" without having to actually ask him
21.gif

Most middle class communities in my neck of the woods are rife with druggies and violent types. Yes...I need to move. This is my second move in three years attempting to get into a better community....but it's almost everywhere. Just yesterday a local moron was driving his four wheeler around the neighborhood streets going about 40mph. It's illegal...and children are at risk as well as being highly annoying. I wave the guy down and ask him to please stop and explain to him the reasons why. He flips me off and laughs as he drives off.

Afraid of my neighbors? Not really....but I would not trust them in times of crisis....let alone knock on a door with a problem.

Yes, it sounds like you need to move. And it sounds like your environment has caused you to become a bit jaded.

As I said, Go ask him, in a friendly fashion if he has had a problem with KIDS ringing the bell an running off etc.
If he goes Rank on you, just walk away, and you will know what you are dealing with.
Time for the police.

Chances are he is just chicken poop and did not want to confront you about your lights.

Very sad if people are to afraid to talk to each other.

Glad I don't live there.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I don't think it is silly at all. When people think that everybody around them is out to get them and live in a neighbourhood where they won't talk to their neighbours because they are afraid of being shot or stabbed, that sir, is a culture of fear.

Actually, you just called my opinion "silly", whether you've granted me mine or not. You are certainly entitled to yours, my observation was that it aligned with the stereotype many Canadians use when they think of American towns. I didn't say it was silly.

I agree that his neighbour sounds "off" but nothing he's done would indicate that he's inclined to violence or should be feared. It sounds like he's not keen on confrontation so is using this passive-aggressive tactic to try and make the OP "get the hint" without having to actually ask him
21.gif

Yes, it sounds like you need to move. And it sounds like your environment has caused you to become a bit jaded.

Jaded? Maybe....I'd certainly like to have an opportunity to not be.

The next place I move to will probably help with that. I'll be looking for an expensive...less culturally diverse...higher income neighborhood.

And I didn't call your opinion "silly". I respect your opinion. I said that phrase "culture of fear" is silly. Sounds like something somebody would say in a liberal arts college....or somebody that hasn't lived in the sometimes gritty world of middle class communities. At least not where I've lived.

Could you illuminate what this stereotype is that Canadians speak of regarding Americans? I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back