Valvoline Racing Synthetic Oil - VR1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if you consider Synpower dyed a really pretty shade of blue with SL levels of ZDDP to be advanced.
Certainly as good as Synpower, so pretty good.
Valvoline had a six quarts free after MIR deal on this oil a few years back, so I ran it in the Forester, which allows for the use of API SL oils.

fdcg27 is correct. It's just Valvoline Synpower (nice oil) with a blue dye and added zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) to bring it to the levels of API SL certification (old cert, often used in "high-mileage" oils). I like Valvoline, good products, but their VR1 is not really special in any way that I can detect. Still, as long as your vehicle can use API SL oils, it's certainly not going to hurt anything. Go for it.

I pull a loaded up utility trailer. My vehicle is a man. transmission,and in a lot of stop and go traffic.

What are you pulling this trailer with and what does it weigh loaded?
A 3/4 ton pickup is probably not much stressed by this type of use while a compact half-ton might be.
Maybe just bump your oil up a grade and run it no more than 5K on a drain?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I pull a loaded up utility trailer. My vehicle is a man. transmission,and in a lot of stop and go traffic.
It would work, but if you normally leak or burn any, the MaxLife Synthetic would be better.

95 nissan 4cyl pickup truck with 240k miles. 2000 lbs max fully loaded trailer.

Last edited:
What are you using in it now?
You are working the little dear pretty hard, although the clutch will be the first part to suffer for this.
How much oil do you have to add now?
You do live in a warm climate, so I'd probably use a 10W-40.
If consumption is low, then Defy would be fine.
If leaks and consumption are more apparent, then I'd try Maxlife.
Some folks report good results in reducing leaks and consumption with PHM, so it might be worth a shot as well.
You are using this thing pretty hard, so I'd do maybe 4K drains, less often if you're adding a lot of oil between them.
This is not an application that would particularly benefit from Synpower or its blue cousin.

I've been using Mobil 1 advanced,and Mobil 1 high mileage.
I have to ad around a half qt in between 5k mile oil changes.

Last edited:
Wow, that's one healthy old engine if it's only using a half a quart in 5K.
Continue with what you're doing, then.
No Valvoline syn would be an improvement, although probably as good.
Since you ask, PHM=Pennzoil High Mileage, with which some members report good results in reducing consumption and leaks.
Since you seem not to have much of either, you don't need to worry about it.

I just want to use the very best synthetic oil possible. If there is anything better than mobil 1, I def want to know what it is?

I just want to use the very best synthetic oil possible. If there is anything better than mobil 1, I def want to know what it is?

Basically anything is overkill for this application, it isn't overly demanding.

The "best" readily available is probably Mobil 1 0w-40.

OverKill, What makes Mobil 1 0w-40 the "best" for my application ?

OverKill, What makes Mobil 1 0w-40 the "best" for my application ?

I said it's the best readily available oil
wink.gif

I say that because it meets the specs for the most demanding high horsepower and forced induction applications out there and is used by a variety of factory race teams. It is a fantastic product.

VR1 is very good stuff as are most Valvoline products. I used it for a long time in my supercharged motor making over 800hp. Internals and the cam always looked great.

Originally Posted By: nastyc5
VR1 is very good stuff as are most Valvoline products. I used it for a long time in my supercharged motor making over 800hp. Internals and the cam always looked great.

Valvoline always seems to have a good reputation. There was a guy on these forums that has torn down ChevyV6 racing engines for many years, and he said he though VR1 was exceptionally good. Valvoline has a good reputation as a competent oil in most blends (UOAs).

Racing oil is interesting. Mobil1 0w-30 might be good stuff too, as its got detergents (surprising, I called them and they confirmed it) along with moly and the requisite ZDDP too.
See http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143222
for a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back