Would this be a wise decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Honda Accord, it currently has just under 130K. Runs well, no glaring mechanical issues. The A/C compressor appears to be leaking, and at times the steering "skips" when pulling out of the driveway. New trans put in a 100K, up to date on all maintenance. For fun I was looking around at used cars and came across this 2014 Jetta 2.5. Has 56K, looks clean, asking $12,500 for it. I could have it paid off in 1 year with the cash from the sell of the Accord and my savings. Im not actively looking for a new car so I guess this is a hypothetical question. I mentioned it to my gf and she said NO, haha. She would rather have me save the money for our first house, which I agree is a wise decision. Anyway, as far as this being a good deal and putting me into a newer car that may/should give me trouble free service for the next 10 years or so...what are your thoughts?
http://www.pensacolahonda.com/used/Volks...6fe805be668.htm

Jetta will not give you 10 yrs trouble free service. Keep the Accord. FYI taking out a loan on a depreciating asset is a fatal financial error.

VW in no way is as reliable as a Honda Accord as it ages. Keep the Accord and drive it till the wheels fall off. And in the meantime save money like crazy until you can accumulate a fat down payment and get a house. Buying a house is the first step to building and accumulating wealth and financial security. Buying cars on payment plan is just another step towards ongoing poverty.

Nope, definitely not wise. I'm sorry to say but owning a VW is far from being cheap and easy to maintain. The only VW I'd own is a TDI, and even right there it's pretty wish-washy. They're good cars don't get me wrong, but they need a lot of upkeep and everything done on time with the proper fluids and parts which are expensive.

Mine now has 170k miles on it, and I think it's doing pretty good BUT, the big ticket items have been a starter ($600) an alternator (did myself for $190 with an O'Reilly's alternator, dealer wants $600 just for the alternator, not including labor), and a $1,700 flywheel replaced which this Jetta also has the DSG tranny. Parts are rediculously expensive, door panels are $1,000 each (I'm not kidding) the stereo is $800 for the deck, and the door speakers are $160 each.

It's just a little bit- funky- of a car. I don't use the sunroof anymore because sometimes it acts weird. The lights inside don't come on when the drivers door is opened (for some odd reason). The drivers window sometimes when rolling up decides to roll back down on its own, seems faster than normal- this ones pretty funny. The check engine light came on in November for a sensor for the actuator on the turbo housing. $1,500 repair for a new turbo - but the check engine light went away the next day so I guess it was just playing games. The airbag light came on a couple months ago and I had a shop reset it, it thought there was an issue with a sensor in the seat, it was just playing games too because it hasn't come back on since. It's needed a seat belt sensor at around 80k miles, and it eats up a battery every 2 years.

I actually love the car, it's awesome but so far it hasn't nickel and dimed me, since a lot of the issues are small things.

Your 130k mile Accord would be MUCH cheaper to own than a newer VW.

My aunt's 2013 Beetle had the A/C compressor replaced at 23k miles and she says she won't own it after the warranty is up due to some small things that doesn't make you feel good about long term ownership.

I also forgot about the $2,000 repair bill for an oil change, control arm bushings, upper strut mounts, a large cooling fan, an alignment, a CV boot, and a turn signal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dernp
Jetta will not give you 10 yrs trouble free service.

+1 and for a guy who doesn't turn wrenches, you might as well move next door to the Volkswagen repair shop.

Ok, thanks for the input guys. My gf has a 2014 Jetta SE with the 1.8 turbo, I kid with her that we are going to trade it out for a Civic
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
any car loan is a bad investment

Maybe so, but some people don't have the luxury of paying cash.

Also, the 2.5L is painfully slow, absolutely gutless. Even my 100hp, 11 year old, 170k mile VW has more "oomph" than a 2014 Jetta 2.5L!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Also, the 2.5L is painfully slow, absolutely gutless. Even my 100hp, 11 year old, 170k mile VW has more "oomph" than a 2014 Jetta 2.5L!

I have driven the Jetta 2.5, thats what the gf originally owned before it was totaled in an accident. I didn't think it was that slow, plenty of juice around town. My Accord is a smidge quicker than the Jetta 2.5, but again I feel its adequate.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Maybe so, but some people don't have the luxury of paying cash.

Agreed many don't have the luxury of paying cash however not doing so is a good way to end up in debt for life.

I have driven the Jetta 2.5, thats what the gf originally owned before it was totaled in an accident. I didn't think it was that slow, plenty of juice around town. My Accord is a smidge quicker than the Jetta 2.5, but again I feel its adequate.
I drove a dealership-loaner Jetta, maybe they have the loaner cars tuned down?

I drove a dealership-loaner Jetta, maybe they have the loaner cars tuned down?

Maybe. The 2.0 (2.slow) I hear is a dog, but the 2.5 was more than adequate for me. Not as quick as my Accord but certainly good enough.

I liked the 2.5 in the rabbit I was considering in 08. \paired with the 5 speed stick it was downright nimble and tight!

As it's been discussed before on this site, the engine is "good" but given the advancements in auto technology (considering the fuel consumption and size) it should be returning better fuel economy and better performance numbers.

Originally Posted By: maximus
56k on a '14?!?

I'd buy a Focus or a Cruze over Jetta. Honestly.

And if you actually click on the link, it's really a '13 not a '14. Pzev is good though, warranty covers lots of emissions parts to 15/150k instead of the standard federal 8/80k.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

LOL Really?

Yes really. If the sticker price on a new car is 20k and you take a loan to pay for it you're paying interest on the loan, whilst the car is devaluing.

Let's assume 10%, you'll pay back 22k on a car that listed at 20. Consider that as soon as you drive it away it loses 20 - 30% of its value.

So you'd happily pay 22k for a car worth 15 or 16?

All loans are bad ideas, only one I ever took was my mortgage

House for your savings.

Your Honda has not even been trouble free for 10 years how can you have that expectation for another car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back