Thoughts on Sumitomo HTR Enhance 4 Cobalt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to a buddy of mine who just put some tires on his beater Focus. He has run quite a few different tires, but says they "remind him of Michelin, but for half the price". He likes the fact that it is a high mileage tire (90k) with a tiny bit of sport thrown in....

Tire is Sumitomo HTR Enhance tire. Seems to be a newer tire from them. Checked the tire rack reviews, and people seem to be agreeing with him. I've currently have 6 year old Sumitomo HTR 4s on my Cobalt, and have for the most part, been a good tire. I'm not in the market right now for tires (planning to wait until the end of summer), but the talk with my bud has now put a tire not in my radar, under consideration.

Anybody tried these? Your thoughts on them?

My step mom has Sumitomos on her G6 and after 25k miles they're nearly bald. And they were properly inflated and she drives like a granny.

They have a 500 tread wear rating. That's fairly decent. Good prices on those tires. BTW-on this board don't compare any tire to a Michelin-because according to most on here there is no comparison.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
They have a 500 tread wear rating. That's fairly decent. Good prices on those tires. BTW-on this board don't compare any tire to a Michelin-because according to most on here there is no comparison.

I didn't compare them....my buddy did. I know there is a difference, and while not huge, is still a difference. Plus, it's the one brand that takes pot holes better than most tires I've seen....

Interesting that people say they wear fast...I rotate em' good, and can pull close to 70k on them if I wanted to....now Falken, that is a fast wearing tire....

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I keep recommending people Cooper cs5, have you considered those or are they too expensive?

Believe it or not, no they are not. Already had both the C5 and C3 as choices along with others....

My other cars have new tires, so I have the money to burn on this car.
wink.gif
That being said, this is the family beater (might also be the last set I put on it) Kinda makes it hard to put 100 buck plus tires on it too...also doesn't mean I might still do it anyways..
grin.gif

The Coopers and the RT43 seem to be the faves so far....

I love my Cooper cs5 grand touring and I can't imagine if the Ultra touring are any better how good they would be.

It's the best set of tires I've had, they have awesome grip in dry, wet and snow.

smile.gif
Way to go daves87rs!

It's nice that you're starting to look at tires early. This way you can make an informed decision when you're truly ready to buy! Lots of good choices out there with some good testing from the PRO's...Pro's meaning, e.g., CR & TR! AND, some very good customer reviews as well.

We as customers can't test tire is this fashion, the way the PRO's do! And whether we agree/disagree with the final results, it is, what it is!

I know way too many people that buy tires at the last minute when they're under the thumb of the tire store! Either their tires are bald, had a blowout/unrepairable or failed state inspection.

Then become unhappy with their purchase and blame everyone else except themselves!.........And they overpaid for a tire that didn't meet their criteria!

Last edited:
Sumitomo has a new HTR P02 model out that might fit the focus better.

but this thread is worthless without a size or at least the year of focus/wheel size.

Originally Posted By: Rand

That new Sumitomo HTR P02 looks very similar to the Falken ZE950 A/S. So maybe it comes down to which one is cheaper, and go with that.

It looks like Falken is owned by Sumitomo. I never knew that.

http://www.falkentire.com/about-us

These new Enhance grand touring tires look decent for the money as a budget choice. I owned a set of the HTR A/S PO1 and they were good wearing and good handling tires but not the most comfortable riding on an old Mazda 3. I'm sure the Enhance would be much better on that count.

If you don't HAVE to buy something like this then I'd agree that you'd probably be better served by Cooper, General, or a similarly affordable option to the Sumitomo like a Kumho PA31.

but this thread is worthless without a size or at least the year of focus/wheel size.

Ah, that is my buddies car, not mine. Thought I put mine in there...maybe not!

06 Cobalt on 195/60/15s- fun part is that they are the same size on his ford....

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
These new Enhance grand touring tires look decent for the money as a budget choice. I owned a set of the HTR A/S PO1 and they were good wearing and good handling tires but not the most comfortable riding on an old Mazda 3. I'm sure the Enhance would be much better on that count.

If you don't HAVE to buy something like this then I'd agree that you'd probably be better served by Cooper, General, or a similarly affordable option to the Sumitomo like a Kumho PA31.

Yeah, I'm looking for something with a bit more meat on it for comfort, one of the few things my current Sumis lack. Wondered the enhance's 90k warranty would offer that meat....

Granted, I've heard the Coopers or RT43s might offer both....

Well, the RT43's I have on the Lexus in my signature(225-70-16), ride very well, rivaling the G/Y Assurance Comfort Tread(G/Y ACT's) that I had previously. The RT43 have better bump absorption over broken pavement than did the G/Y ACT's. And our Western NY winters really beat up the roads!

And even though the RT43's are quiet, I must say that they're NOT AS QUIET as the G/Y ACT's(or the OE Integrity's). But, the RT43's are not loud by any stretch of the imagination!
smile.gif

Handling & grip is much, much better than any previous tire on the Lexus, another good thing!
smile.gif
Longevity is still an unknown.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Well, the RT43's I have on the Lexus in my signature(225-70-16), ride very well, rivaling the G/Y Assurance Comfort Tread(G/Y ACT's) that I had previously. The RT43 have better bump absorption over broken pavement than did the G/Y ACT's. And our Western NY winters really beat up the roads!

And even though the RT43's are quiet, I must say that they're NOT AS QUIET as the G/Y ACT's(or the OE Integrity's). But, the RT43's are not loud by any stretch of the imagination!
smile.gif

Handling & grip is much, much better than any previous tire on the Lexus, another good thing!
smile.gif

Good to know about the handling....and the potholes here are crazy now!!
shocked.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Which version T H V ?

smile.gif

smile.gif

Which version T H V ?

Sounds like the T version, I think....

smile.gif

smile.gif

Which version T H V ?

My size listed ^^^ are only available in "T" speed rated but, I realize that other sizes are available in "H" & "V"

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=16&cs=225

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back