Fuel trap door missing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to the gas station today, and prior to fueling I filled up my tank with a bottle of Techron cleaner. Once the bottle was empty, I threw it away and began to pump gas as I normally do. Right before I was about to screw the gas cap back onto my vehicle, I noticed that the little metal trap door that you usually see when you look inside where your insert the fuel dispenser nozzle into your car was missing. I used the flashlight on my phone to see if maybe it was lodged or stuck in the filling tube but I did not see anything. Once I got home I grabbed a better flashlight and checked the tube again to see if it was lodged in there, in addition to sticking my finger in there to feel around. I didn't see anything, and could't feel anything either.

So now I'm wondering...maybe my car did not have one of those little metal doors to begin with? In all honesty, I very well could be imagining that I had one even though I didn't, as I am constantly refueling my work van, and my girlfriend's car, in which both vehicles do have that door. After googling it, I read in some other forums in which people stated that their vehicles didn't even come equipped with one to begin with. Has anybody else run into this before? And if so, is this something that I should be concerned about? This is on the vehicle in my sig.

Using a phone at a pump is ILLEGAL and DANGEROUS activity, THE SIGNS PROHIBIT PHONE USE..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Using a phone at a pump is ILLEGAL and DANGEROUS activity, THE SIGNS PROHIBIT PHONE USE..
You do realize that's all a myth right?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

No, the signs are there, ever read them? They usually say "Self Serve-It is unlawful..cell phone use prohibited" The key phrase is UNLAWFUL, PROHIBITED, not a myth at all.

Last edited:
uh what buttons?, around here I'm just happy if they don't restart their car while fueling.

No, the signs are there, ever read them? They usually say "Self Serve-It is unlawful.." The key phrase is UNLAWFUL.

Talking on a cell phone while pumping gas is not the real danger, but dialing on a cell phone is. Working the buttons, making contact, is what can create sparks which can ignite gas fumes. Something like that happening would be a freak incident, but it can happen.

Vern, I genuinely appreciate your concern. When I refuel my vehicle, I ALWAYS leave my phone inside. Today I was just really worried that I broke something, which is why I decided to use the flashlight feature. If I had an actual flashlight with me, I would have used it and not have even bothered with the phone. However, I do not need to be scolded by you about something that is irrelevant to the question that I asked in the original post.

The risk is a myth, even Mythbusters proved it wrong. I am almost always on my phone when fueling. As far as legality, I have seen plenty of police officers here on their cell phones not only driving but fueling their cars.

OP I wouldn't sweat it.

all this phone talk aside, Neither My Sable, nor My mom's Taurus have the trap door/flap thingy.

Heck, some of the newer Fords don't even have a gas cap!

Not to take it too far off, but the area around the fuel area is a Class 1, Division 2 area. While not a guarantee, it is plausible that a normal location cell phone (almost any phone regularly available) can cause a spark that can ignite gas vapors in the right, abnormal conditions similar to how a static spark will ignite the vapors, although a static spark has much more voltage behind it. An intrinsically safe phone will not cause a fire.

Originally Posted By: chriscreags
maybe my car did not have one of those little metal doors to begin with?

I don't think it did. Our RAV4 doesn't have one either.

Somebody once told me that they stopped installing those little flaps because they can snag on the end of the gas-filler nozzle and pull off the metal cap on the nozzle. Don't know how true that is, but it sounds plausible.

It's called the unleaded restrictor, it has a specific diameter and leaded nozzles are bigger.

The flap is/was there to "refuse" leaded gas just dribbled on top of it. Hard to use with additives, though, you always get a slosh on the outside before you can stuff it down to open the thing. Then those additives mix with dust that accumulates out there and goes down.

Originally Posted By: abycat
my versa has one. Yours should to.

Well it's probably sitting on the bottom of my fuel tank now...although when I got home and stuck my finger in the fuel tube, I didn't feel any type of hinge or attachment point for a metal flap. What I did feel was just the inside of a smooth hose/tube.

The reason that I was concerned to begin with, is that I wasn't sure if that metal flap had any role in maintaining fuel tank pressure or any effect on the evap system. I guess if it does, I will being seeing a CEL soon.

Anyways, I want to thank all that responded in regards to my original question. It's much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back