Barrett M99 or PGW LRT-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, the local gun shop got in an older model PGW LRT-3, which is a single shot .50BMG rifle, stainless barrel, McMillan stock....etc. Nice looking gun. But it is used and a number of years old, PGW doesn't make anything that even resembles it now.

On the other hand, there's the tried and true Barrett M99, also single shot, brand new I can get the 29" model for $4,525, and the 32" model is a few hundred more.

The gun store IMHO has the PGW piece over-priced (yes, it is made in Canada) at $4,995.00 for a used .50BMG single shot rifle. I contacted somebody who should know and they confirmed that if they were buying the rifle for resale that they'd pay $2,500 to $3,000 for it.

I think the PGW piece is beautiful. But it isn't worth more than a brand new Barrett. I'd pay $3,500 for it, maybe a bit more at most. The problem is, I have a pretty good understanding of the margin the shop makes on guns and I fear that they've overpaid on this gun when it was traded and they won't be able to meet my price point without selling it at a loss.

They know I've been after a .50 for a while, so they were excited to show me they had one. But at the same time, I'm not willing to get my posterior reamed buying a gun at a price that is far more than it is actually worth. I could buy a brand new PGW .50 repeater for $8,500 (can't buy the Barrett M82A1 up here).

I'm not sure how to approach the subject with the necessary tact to indicate that while I'm keen on the rifle, they are like $1,500 high on the price
21.gif

BTW, the rifle looks like this:

PGW5001.jpg

And the old PGW page:
http://prairiegunworks.com/id10.htm

Shows that style of rifle starting at $4,500 (new) back when they made them.

Their new page is here:
http://www.pgwdti.com/

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How much does each shot cost?

Under $7.00 based on the ammo they stock. Once I have enough brass I can reload, driving the cost down further.

Is that Accuracy Plus? I think I have been there before, quite a few years ago. Nice looking rifle but the price, not so much. I would show them the prices of new rifles on that website and tell them how much you would give for it.

I am partial to PGW but really, is the added expense going to give you better precision/accuracy? If you decided to get rid of the PGW would its bloated price make it sellable? I would go Barrett.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Is that Accuracy Plus? I think I have been there before, quite a few years ago. Nice looking rifle but the price, not so much. I would show them the prices of new rifles on that website and tell them how much you would give for it.

Yup, great store, great group of folks. I don't mind them making money, I mean they have to, they are a business. But if they've overpaid for that rifle, I'm not paying for the mistake, you know what I mean? I want to offer them $3500 but it is so much less than what they are selling it for I feel I'd be insulting them
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yup, great store, great group of folks. I don't mind them making money, I mean they have to, they are a business. But if they've overpaid for that rifle, I'm not paying for the mistake, you know what I mean? I want to offer them $3500 but it is so much less than what they are selling it for I feel I'd be insulting them
frown.gif

Yep, I hear ya, it puts you in a difficult position. I like the new PGW rifles, some sweet looking iron and made in Canada as well!

All you can do is ask and see.
I'd tell them that you'll pay $3500 cash and see what happens.
I find that money, the real stuff, not plastic, makes people negotiate.

Stick to your guns (no pun intended), and find out the story of why it's overpriced.

Some nice looking AR's in the background in that pic too. I really wish they weren't in the restricted classification! The NFA is trying to get them changed to non-restricted, but who knows if it will happen.

Yeah, the NFA is in a bit of turmoil since the controversy with Sheldon and Shawn. Hoping it pans out well for us, though I am concerned at this point.

There's really no reason for the AR15 to be restricted, it is due to the image of the gun, nothing more.

Yeah, the NFA is in a bit of turmoil since the controversy with Sheldon and Shawn. Hoping it pans out well for us, though I am concerned at this point.

There's really no reason for the AR15 to be restricted, it is due to the image of the gun, nothing more.
Ya, I hope it turns out well, I guess time will tell. The whole "restricted" classification needs to go. Its pointless and serves no purpose other than making the anti's happy.

Under $7.00 based on the ammo they stock. Once I have enough brass I can reload, driving the cost down further.
Do you have a .50 Cal reloader? PS...if I were in the market, I would go for the Barrett (new) as opposed to the PGW (used)--unless they made me a good deal, but sounds like they are overpriced and cannot meet your numbers.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Do you have a .50 Cal reloader? PS...if I were in the market, I would go for the Barrett (new) as opposed to the PGW (used)--unless they made me a good deal, but sounds like they are overpriced and cannot meet your numbers.

Nope, they won't fit in either of my presses so I'd need to get a specific one that will handle it.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

+1 on the Barrett.

Thanks for the input guys
thumbsup2.gif
Yeah, I've been pretty keen on the Barrett for quite a while now TBH.

Some nice looking AR's in the background in that pic too. I really wish they weren't in the restricted classification! The NFA is trying to get them changed to non-restricted, but who knows if it will happen.

Not in our lifetimes dude.
wink.gif

I had the Barrett 82, 95 and 99. Guess what I still own Barrett.... Nothing.

If that PGW is anything like the timberwolf my neighbor had than its a winner. And if you gotta ask why that pgw is still more expensive........

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
I had the Barrett 82, 95 and 99. Guess what I still own Barrett.... Nothing.

If that PGW is anything like the timberwolf my neighbor had than its a winner. And if you gotta ask why that pgw is still more expensive........

I contacted PGW and they told me it was overpriced.

I'm half-way to one of their new guns if I were to spend what they want for that one, and in that case I'd just do a new PGW.

And yes, the Timberwolf is a fantastic gun from what I've been told; heck, their whole series is great.

How much for the reloading equipment?

Originally Posted By: CT8

How much for the reloading equipment?

Few hundred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back