Scion iA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking around for a replacement for my 2012 Mazda3. I came across a new Scion model that is scheduled to be "arriving soon" according to the Scion website.The Scion iA.

At first I was shocked on how much it looked like a shrunken Mazda3 sedan. Then I learned that it is a joint venture with Mazda and Toyota. Looks like Toyota realized Mazda has a good thing going with their Skyactiv chassis and powertrain.

http://jalopnik.com/the-scion-ia-sedan-should-be-fun-to-drive-because-its-a-1692117826

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/31/2016-scion-ia-official-photos-new-york/

When you give up on a brand,you buy cars from somebody else and relabel them as your own.Seems Toyota has lost the "Pride" in Scion it once had (seeing as how half the original lineup was Echo-based I don't see why they should have been proud).When Corolla or Camry becomes a purchased Mazda or Nissan you will know for sure Toyota has given up.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
When you give up on a brand,you buy cars from somebody else and relabel them as your own.Seems Toyota has lost the "Pride" in Scion it once had (seeing as how half the original lineup was Echo-based I don't see why they should have been proud).When Corolla or Camry becomes a purchased Mazda or Nissan you will know for sure Toyota has given up.
Well, the 1st gen xB(bB in Japan) was actually a joint venture with Daihatsu, not sure about the xA, so they've been working with other Japanese manufacturers all along. I bought mine brand new in Feb. '05, for $13,700, it's probably still worth $7K or so, it's had nearly no problems in the 10+ years I've owned it, & (most importantly) my wife still loves it-so I can't complain too much about it.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
...Well, the 1st gen xB(bB in Japan) was actually a joint venture with Daihatsu, not sure about the xA, so they've been working with other Japanese manufacturers all along. ...

Toyota Owns Daihatsu. it wasn't entirely outside the company.

Pretty much the Whole original Scion Lineup were models sold as toyota's in other parts of the world.

and looking at those pics... yeah it's clearly a mazda 2, with a grille that can't decide if it's a Ford, or a Toyota.

Last edited:
I was wondering why Toyota had been copying Mazda's styling. Now I see why--in bed together. Not that that is bad--well, except I dislike that kind of styling.

I showed my wife the pictures. She covered over the grill and said the rest wasn't bad.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

Scion is a branding experiment to appeal to younger buyers in North America. For them a boondoggle.

Toyota is massively successful with Lexus, hybrids and the rest of the line however not great at appealing to you buyers as age is pretty high for their product.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Lease?

If not, then what's wrong with your NEARLY NEW Mazda?

I cannot live another warm/hot season with my 2012 Mazda3. It has a worthless air-conditioner system. Also, I have had several electrical issues with it since the day I leased it.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Have you seen the Scion iM ?

It's a "true" Toyota !!

Yes, it appears Toyota is bringing back the Matrix that was discontinued a couple of years ago.

A Scion salesperson told me that the Matrix was dropped because of poor sales. So, Toyota thinks a slow selling model will do better rebadged as a Scion. Wow, that is bizarre. I would think Scion desperately needs a home-run to save itself.

My thinking is that Toyota should rebadge a Mazda CX3. It seems the next hot segment is mini SUV's like; Honda HRV, Jeep Renegade, Buick Encore, Fiat 500X, Mazda CX3, Chevy Trax, etc.
Toyota does not have a mini SUV, their RAV4 has grown to the size of the original Highlander. They need a mini SUV, and they need a winner in the Scion line-up. Forget the rebadged Mazda2, what they really need is a rebadged CX3.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
Yes, it appears Toyota is bringing back the Matrix that was discontinued a couple of years ago.

A Scion salesperson told me that the Matrix was dropped because of poor sales. So, Toyota thinks a slow selling model will do better rebadged as a Scion. Wow, that is bizarre.

The Scion iM is not a Matrix... it's a Toyota Auris

The Scion iM is not a Matrix... it's a Toyota Auris [/quote]

Your right, thanks. I just did an online search and seen that.

My conversation with a Scion salesperson left me with the understanding that the iM was a rebadged Matrix. Salespeople don't always have the facts, even on products they are selling.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Scion iM is not a Matrix... it's a Toyota Auris

Your right, thanks. I just did an online search and seen that.

My conversation with a Scion salesperson left me with the understanding that the iM was a rebadged Matrix. Salespeople don't always have the facts, even on products they are selling.

no, no, the rebadged Matrix was called the Pontiac Vibe

and the Matrix was simply a Corolla Wagon.
Guess what the Auris is derived From?

Last edited:
They need a mini SUV, and they need a winner in the Scion line-up. Forget the rebadged Mazda2, what they really need is a rebadged CX3.

“It has always been our sourcing model to look for products in other global markets that we might not bring in as a Toyota but that we might bring in under the Scion brand,” said Murtha, commenting that there’s more to Scion than just brand-engineered models. “We don’t want to become Geo, basically selling cars that are either wholly built by someone else or only through partnerships.”

“I’m open to any and all body type categories, as long as it meets the basic requirements and interests of our target customer. Right now, that doesn’t include small SUVs."

“I’m open to a crossover, but as I look at crossovers in the market there’s a lot I wouldn’t want because I think they’d they’d work better with a Toyota badge on their hood than a Scion badge. Like it or not, SUVs still come with a little bit of that family-esque stigma … and I don’t think that’s what the majority of our customers are looking to project about themselves.”

Doug Murtha - Scion Group Vice President

Originally Posted By: earlyre
and the Matrix was simply a Corolla Wagon.
Guess what the Auris is derived From?

One could argue that much of the entire compact lineup is derived from the Corolla.

It's no secret that I am a Toyota enthusiast, but I would much rather have the iM.

I bet the iM is going to have Toyota's 1.8L motor (2ZR-FE) and will probably be manufactured in Japan.

I would assume the iA is going to be built in Mexico with a Mazda drivetrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back