Any Clay shooters here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if so what is your sport and favorite tool ?

In the 80's early 90's I was very serious in Sporting Clays & Skeet and some trap. Back in those days I was one of the top shooters in Michigan, an injury forced retirement. I used an 870 tricked out by Kerry Allor who ran the show @MagnaPort, he's on his own now @Barrel Works.

Just started back up (off for 20 yrs) and now use Beretta's ugly blue gun. I love Sporting & 5 stand.

Last edited:
I have shot some trap. Used a Remmy 1100, a Browning "light twelve" A5, and a Lanber 0/U. Always like the old humpback the best out of them all.

In the 80's I was a range officer at a large outdoor shooting range. I mostly handled the shotgun sport side of things. And I often shot with some of the competetive shooters. I used an 870 as well. But people used to bring everything out there under the sun. My favorites were the krieghoffs and perazzis. There was even a guy who would come shoot with a Krieghoff K80 exhibition model(think mid 5 figures in the 80's). The most popular ones were the Browning citoris, undoubtedly. If I were to get back into it today I would look at the Ruger red label O/U or a remington 11-87 as I've found that is what fits me the best. The most important thing is to find a shotgun that fits you dimensionally and is comfortable.

I shoot some trap. With any luck if the weather stays warm I'll be going in the next 2-3 weeks again.

Going to pat myself on the back.
smile.gif
I showed up at a local gun range with a Mossberg 500 with a full choke and was smoking clays with it.

A few of the more frenly guys said it had been a long time since someone had done that well with a $150 pump gun from Walmart.

I'm even worse at it than I am at basketball.

I once tried to talk a friend with a very aggressive adolescent daughter with good hand-eye coordination into introducing her to the sport. Not terribly expensive compared to most team sports kids participate in, a lifetime hobby, good ratio of affluent males to females, and let's face it: Not a bad skill for a young woman graduating from college into a world of basement apartments in marginal neighborhoods. No dice. Guns are bad.

A long time ago, I used to shoot ATA competition trap with my dad. He was an AA-27 shooter, I never got better than B-23. He still has a "pizza" gun, a custom Perazzi 34" extra full choke single shot. That thing has to be 40+ years old.

My weapon of choice was a Winchester Model 12, the American made model, not the Japanese made one. It was old when I got it. I had a custom stock installed on it.

We made it to the Grand American a few times in the 70's and 80's, back when it was held in Vandalia.

I quit when the price of shells got expensive, both new and reloading. Shoot, that was $4/box for Winchester AA trap loads. I don't have any idea what a box of shells is now.

I enjoyed trap and skeet till my shoulder quit having fun. Think about skeet with a 28ga now days.

I shoot a Krieghoff K-80 with Briley sub-gauge tubes for skeet. 90% of the time I practice with the 28 gauge. For doubles, I use a Remington 1100 Competition.

Just for fun with my buddies, I use my Beretta A-400 28 gauge autoloader. It is a very soft shooting, fun gun to shoot. It's my "go to" dove gun.

My-O-My, Perazzi, Krieghoff, BT99, Citori, Model 12 ..some serious shooters here
smile.gif

The BT99 (old model) was the first trap gun I bought. I need a lot of drop and never could get it to fit right, nice gun though.

@Robenstein, I here the Lanber 0/U is a good gun but I've never seen one, you like yours ?

@Fatboymoe, last week shot Sporting Clays with a guy who used 1100 28ga and he shot 47 out of 50...made us look silly on what we think is a rather long lay out.

This is my 3rd week on the come back and I really suck in Sporting and Skeet, shot trap 3 times and 24-16yd, 23-20yd, 20-27yd which isn't bad for 20yr layoff, wont say what I got in the other 2 disciplines.....
blush.gif
cry.gif

Last edited:
The Lanber is a decent gun. I have also had one of their semi autos....I sold that one and regret it as it was a great field gun that balanced, carried, and pointed well. My biggest knock on the Lanbers are purely on aesthetics. The wood on the ones I have had are beyond bland and plain.

CDNN Investments usually has Lanbers in stock if you ever feel the itch to get one.

I have a trap launcher.I go practically every day. I maybe only shoot 20 birds or so. The range is 1.5 miles away.

I have a 1927 Iver Johnson's singole barrel 12 ga. with an exposed hammer. I love it.

My favorite passtime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
I have a trap launcher.I go practically every day. I maybe only shoot 20 birds or so. The range is 1.5 miles away.

I have a 1927 Iver Johnson's singole barrel 12 ga. with an exposed hammer. I love it.

My favorite passtime.

Al, I have that gun
smile.gif
It's my turkey shoot/embarrass trap shooters gun. I put stick on wheel weights on the barrel and receiver so it wouldn't kick the [censored] out of me. The gun is ugly and people who don't know laugh at it....the guys who do know will soon be laughing at the guys who just got their a$$ beat by it. It was my first gun as a kid and I hunted everything a shotgun will kill for many years, thing will hit way way out there, doves over head 60-70 yards no problem. For some reason I shoot that plain barrel gun better than rib barrel guns
crazy.gif

I will post pic's when I get home.

Originally Posted By: FastGame

Al, I have that gun
smile.gif
It's my turkey shoot/embarrass trap shooters gun. I put stick on wheel weights on the barrel and receiver so it wouldn't kick the [censored] out of me. The gun is ugly and people who don't know laugh at it....the guys who do know will soon be laughing at the guys who just got their a$$ beat by it. It was my first gun as a kid and I hunted everything a shotgun will kill for many years, thing will hit way way out there, doves over head 60-70 yards no problem. For some reason I shoot that plain barrel gun better than rib barrel guns
crazy.gif

I will post pic's when I get home.

Wow! Can't wait for you to post.
Mine is model.."Champion" serial 31756 B
I believe it is 1927
I just love this gun. The barrel is amazing

1_IMG_2765.JPG

1_IMG_2764.JPG

Last edited:
Yep mine says the same and it's hand checkered stock that looks like it was done with pocket knife. Your gun looks dam new compared to mine...haha

@billt460, the gun and myself grew up in Glendale, Arizona...

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with an old school singe shot. I have a WW Greener 12ga built on a Martini Henry action I sometimes use to bust clays at the range. Always ends up being a conversation starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back