Advanced Scan Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to purchase an advanced scan tool (not scangauge) to look at detailed items within the computer such as ABS light malfunction location and TPMS specifics that can point out which tire has the bad air sensor and O2 sensor readings. Are they specific for each vehicle? For example, I have a scan gauge that can clear engine codes on Nissan's and Toyota's but not Chrysler products. I don't mind spending big money for a good one, I just want a scanner that I know will do everything I need before plopping down the dollars. Anyone have experience with the upper end scanners?

Last edited:
I would try to get whatever the dealer uses. For instance, you mentioned Toyota, for that i would get Techstream and a drewtech cable. What makes are you interested in ?

As mentioned above the coverage on aftermarket tools are often missing pieces here and there.

Nissan's package is called Consult and I'm sure there's a way to make it work with a J2534 cable like Techstream.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KDonkey
What makes are you interested in ?

I run a fleet of vehicles and we routinely get TPMS and ABS codes that I could easily fix myself if I had an appropriate scanner to tell me exactly where the problem is...not only that but I need it to be able to scan multiple manufacturers. Standard scanners don't even let you in the TPMS or ABS functions to isolate which wheel location has the issue.

If I would need to get a different scanner for each manufacturer...this gets confusing and costly.

Last edited:
I know Launch X431 has good ABS coverage, not sure about TPMS though. Both of these are beyond the reach of most handheld obd2 code readers. I have also seen Continental (ex VDO) "conti-sys scan" it's pretty good but I'm usually only looking at European cars.

Most manufacturers will let you use their diagnosis software online if you have a J2534 cable, but you have to subscribe by the day/week/month. For instance Nissan's is here https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/home.aspx Hmm, looking there it may not have Consult diagnosis online - only reprogramming. Toyota does: https://techinfo.toyota.com/

If you feel like being a hacker there are copies of Consult and Techstream floating around on trackers/warez sites.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I know a guy nearby that has an expensive Snap On model but it doesn't read the TPMS on my Nissan.

TPMS on Nissan Infiniti vehicles are a PITA, nothing i have does them and nothing the tire place has either will wake up the new sensors. Nissan dealer thing.

I am very happy with the Innova brand.

But I think something that will read ABS and give misfire counts would be North of 200$

But the Innova scanners just feel right quality wise for a cheap scanner that is.

Misfire counts are exposed in generic OBD2 parameters, ScanXL and at least one of the android apps can get this one.

I have had pretty good luck with my Autel DS708, but no matter what brand you buy it seems they all have their limitations. What vehicles do you expect to be working on most?

There are various Android and Windows apps that have varying degrees of varying functions.

Any particular set of vehicles your looking into?

If you want all of anythiny of everything, you've gotta shell out for higher end Snap On gear.

Originally Posted By: KDonkey
Misfire counts are exposed in generic OBD2 parameters, ScanXL and at least one of the android apps can get this one.

Heck, OBDWiz will show the misfire counts, as long as you know what data label to look at (often its $06 IIRC)

Unless you are willing to spend multiple thousand dollars for the purchase and then hundreds of dollars for annual updates, you are better of looking in to some of the offerings by Autel. You still need to purchase TPMS scanner as a separate item. Expect to spend close to thousand.

One bargain out there is to find 25% coupon and then head to HF and get the ~$1000 scanner. I don't remember the exact Autel MaxiDas model number.

You are asking for advanced scanner without disclosing your budget though.

You tell me your budget, and I will give recommendation based upon that.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

You are asking for advanced scanner without disclosing your budget though.

You tell me your budget, and I will give recommendation based upon that.

I don't mind spending several thousand on a scanner if it could be used on multiple manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back