Full tank of gas for alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Gas weighs a little over 6 pounds per gallon. You have a 14.5 gallon tank. When they do the the alignment, you're not even in the car. I wouldn't think it'd be anything to worry about.

FYI, when performing alignment, BMW recommends full tank of gas plus extra weight blocks placed inside the car and in the trunk. Whether it actually makes a noticeable difference, I don't know, but that is their SOP.

+1.
I always align with a full tank.

+2. Only caveat I'd have is that if the car is only ever driven a certain way (eg no passengers, empty back seat, heavily loaded trunk) it may make sense to move the load to be a bit more indicative.

But full tank at minimum is prudent, with som semblance of mass in driver seat.

I've heard more than once by alignment techs that modern computers account for NOT using a spreader bar (required for some cars), and to account for added weight requirements, but to me this is false. Maybe someone has good data to prove otherwise, but it seems that it's a claim to build business, without basis.

7/8 of a tank will leave room for expansion. Also if you have a fat sassy girlfriend have her sit in the front seat!
happy2.gif

I'll probably fill the tank on my way to the alignment shop. This particular alignment(G/Y Serv Cent) has done my alignments for over 30 years and, they do the best I've ever had. Nice straight driving(no pull) and straight steering wheel!

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Gas weighs a little over 6 pounds per gallon. You have a 14.5 gallon tank. When they do the the alignment, you're not even in the car. I wouldn't think it'd be anything to worry about. The difference between half and full is about 42 pounds.

According to the OM, it's a 15 gallon gas tank(but, who's counting?)
laugh.gif

I swear, I have put in more than 15 gallons(gas light on) on at least 2 occasion! And I checked the gas pump, gal's/price etc. and everything was right on! And I have read elsewhere that, it's a 15.5 gal/tank.

Be more concerned with the skills of the technician who will do the alignment than the small loads on the car. There are very few technicians out there who can do the alignment right, and as a result, the car is more poorly aligned after the alignment than before the alignment most of the time.

Find a good shop and a good technician. Ask for the printout of the alignment values, even if the values may make no sense if the procedure wasn't followed carefully. If there is something wrong or the car doesn't drive right, ask for a new alignment with a different technician.

I had a good experience once with a Toyota dealer. These days I have a lifetime alignment from Firestone and I always ask for the same technician, who likes my car and is careful.

All of that is certainly factored in. This is why I use this particular shop to do my alignments for the past 30+ yrs. They do the best!
wink.gif

I always make sure I have a full tank. Technically, you should have weight for the driver inside as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back