Its 1999, which oil and filter would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks. So, say its 1999 and you are going to do a oil change on your vehicle. Which oil and filter would you use? I probably would be QSGB, or Castrol as used both before. I would use a Tough Guard filter also.

In 1999, we let the local Havoline carwash/oil changing place do it, In 1967 on our new Beetle, I did the oil change in the yard, now that was Macho, lol. was no filter...

Same stuff I use today, store brand oil and an STP filter. Only difference would be a 3k OCI. I was a firm believer of the 3k OCI in those pre-BITOG days

WM sold STP filters for $1.97. They had a little glassine window in the box so you could see the quality.

They also had Tech2000 generic oil for $.74. That's what I ran then, and that's what I'd use if I had a time machine.

DA Lubricants 15w-40 Extra Treated Diesel Oil with NAPA or Baldwin filters. It was what I used for everything from lawn mowers to my wifes car. Why? The construction company that I worked for had it delivered 500 gallons at a time and they let me have what I needed for personal use.

I have to say I racked up 360,000 miles on a Suburban with that combo here in Michigan and that motor was running fine the last time I saw it.

In 1999, the family fleet consisted of three cars we had bought new, a 1986 Civic Wagon, a 1997 Aerostar and a 1999 Accord LX.
The Hondas were both sticks, of course.
The Civic almost always got synthetic after 90K and was typically on something fairly thick, sometimes even M1 15W-50.
The Accord had it's first change at around 1K as did the Aerostar. Both of these typically got a 5W-30 syn. I know that I was using a lot of Exxon Superflow syn at the time, since we had a now gone regional discounter around here that frequently offered this oil on sale.
I used Frams in everything back then.

Back then I used Selenia Racing 10w60 in my AR 164 3.0 V6 24v. In my dad's Ford we just started using HDEO with 1.9 SAPS and I'm still using it.

In 99 I was using Amsoil with Toyota filter on my 97 Camry and doing yearly oil and filter changes. On my MGB I was using Castrol GTX with a Fram filter. My Ford Ranger was getting Amsoil with a Motorcraft filter and yearly changes.

Woulda been O'Reillys house brand 10w30, or GTX 10w30 if I had been to Wally's, and an orange can no matter what I was changing the oil in.

In '99 I owned and I still own an '89 Harley, a '95 F-150 and a '96 LeSabre. All three vehicles still run great. I've used all kinds of oils and filter including a lot of OCOD's. I've kind of proven to myself that what you use really doesn't, matter as long as you do regular maintenance.

In ~1999 iirc I 'was' using a fair amount of Havoline motor oil, buying by the case sometimes, and at that time likely an orange can filter. Havoline was one of the best or the best deal at WM and other places. Second choice might have been GTX/QSGB about equally.

Looking back, wouldn't have changed motor choice(s), but filter choice would have.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
In 1999, we let the local Havoline carwash/oil changing place do it, In 1967 on our new Beetle, I did the oil change in the yard, now that was Macho, lol. was no filter...

In '99 I would use PYB WITH "PUREBASE" LOLOLOL

Last edited:
I actually did an oil change in 1999 (my first ever!)
it was on my 87 Olds 98
it got PYB 10w30, and an original Blue PureOne(new product at the time)

prior to that it had either gotten serviced at the Dealer (was grandpa's car, I got it when he passed)or like the rest of my family's cars, at the Local BP Procare. with some sort of jobber filter, and i assume a bulk castrol product.

after that OCI, a new Valvoline instant oil change opened in front of my work, and I used them for the Next Decade, until I started doing my own again, and found Bitog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back