Best oil for 2005 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a very pristine 2005 f150 4x2 with a 5.4L v8, and 91,000 miles.

I intend to use an FL820s motorcraft filter, but I want to use a synthetic 5w20 or 0w20. I am thinking about Royal Purple, Kendall Gt1 full synthetic, or open to suggestions. The truck is in great condition with no leaks, drips, etc.

I have used motorcraft semi 5w20 in other fords, but i think i want to step up to synthetic....

SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE???

My BIL's 2004 4.6 F150 Extended cab is going strong at over 300K using everything from Syntec 5W30 to GTX 10W40.

What I am trying to say use any API certified oil and change it at a reasonable interval and you do have to worry about engine lubrication.

I may suggest a 5-30 semi or full synthetic. Current fill is Rotella T6 5-40. About as quiet as ever. These 5.4s can be a little noisy.

Of the two oils you listed, I prefer Kendall GT-1. Do a web search on the site, I know a forum member has done a bunch of UOAs on their F150 with Kendall oil and they came out real good.

However, I don't think you'll have an issue with any name brand synthetic you use (M1, PP, SynPower, etc). Any one of them should do an excellent job of protecting your engine for a long time.

Mobil super 5000 5w30 with FL20s, my 05 expy beater run great with it.

is your making ticking tapping noise ?

ford make 5w20 because fuel economy, 5w30 is what it should be use.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
So... with 91,000 miles on it, are you planning on changing the spark plugs anytime soon?

lol the nightmare , my 05 expy beater is having closer 190k, it still run great, no check engine light, so I dont plant do any thing to do, just do regular maint and run til it die.

Last edited:
Along with your preference of a synthetic oil and a Motorcraft Filter, consider the High Mileage version as a precautionary measure.

Changing ALL the other fluids and filters is prudent too. How are the brakes, tires, exhaust, belts, hoses, pcv, and spark plugs?

5W-30 might make the engine run quieter than 5W-20. Think about that.

As long as it's not Mobil 1 5W-30 that is ....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
5W-30 might make the engine run quieter than 5W-20. Think about that.

As long as it's not Mobil 1 5W-30 that is ....
grin.gif

Incessant trolling at its finest.

Op
Use whatever's on sale. I suggest following fx4 example and extend the drains. He's got lots of data on that engine and he uses the truck like a truck.
Don't buy into the hype with the boutiques. Sure I like RP but I'm not prepared to pay more for it than the comparative tier mobil/pennzoil/Castrol alternative.
Fords mod motors aren't picky and they aren't hard on oil.
Holler a fx4. He's what I'd consider an expert on that engine in that truck because if the data he's acquired over the years. He will point you in the right direction

Last edited:
I have a 2005 F150 5.4 that I bought new. It's got 132K miles on it now, I use Motorcraft 820S filters and 0w-30 Amsoil SS oil. I change it once a year. Works for me.

I changed my spark plugs at 50K and 100K, and serpentine belt at 125K. They are good trucks.

Originally Posted By: zogg

I intend to use an FL820s motorcraft filter, but I want to use a synthetic 5w20 or 0w20. I am thinking about Royal Purple, Kendall Gt1 full synthetic, or open to suggestions. The truck is in great condition with no leaks, drips, etc.

I have used motorcraft semi 5w20 in other fords, but i think i want to step up to synthetic....

SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE???

Hi zogg, your 2005 Ford F150 with 5.4L came factory filled with SAE 5W-20 synthetic motor oil meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C930-H. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology would be an excellent choice and meet your vehicles specifications. In case you're unfamiliar, PurePlus Technology is a patented, revolutionary gas-to-liquid process which converts natural gas into a base oil with lower friction, better low temperature properties and greater stability than conventional motor oil made from crude. Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: zogg

SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE???

You had it right the first time OP. Royal Purple is the way to go! Try the HPS series, it is great stuff. Or just go with Royal Purple API off the shelf from Walmart. You cant go wrong with either!

Castrol 0w-30 (Belgian or German) is phenomenal oil but not always easy to find. It would be my first choice.

Easier to find is Castrol Edge and Edge EP 5w-30 is a good choice and well priced.

PP, M1, QSUD, RP, Kendall, and Synpower are all quality oils too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back