Anyone Replaced A Throttle Body...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just curious if anyone here has ever replaced a bad Throttle Body. I know it's not to common...but what was the reason for the replacement?

on my 2001 vw jetta 1.8T it was easy, removed to clean it. at about 125,000 it died one very cold morning going to work, there are 2 non replacable sensors in it. $500 for the part $50 to install + $25 to scan-diagnose. there was a PILE of them on the dealers floor!!!!!!

Yup, replaced a ton of them. All the newer cars are fly-by-wire and have the TPS integrated into the throttle body housing. Any issue with them and the whole assembly is replaced.

I put a Dodge V8 TB on my engine about 7 or 8 years ago. There was nothing wrong with my V6 TB, I just did it to add a little more power. I bought a used V8 TB from a 5.2 at the local you pull it yard one rainy August Saturday. It is kind of a common mod for the 3.9 and it does help increase power in the lower to middle power band. It helps a bit on take-off from a dead stop but is most noticeable when I gear down to pass another vehicle. My IAC, TPS and MAP sensors all transferred from my V6 TB.

I upgraded my civic throttle body to a larger diameter for better top end power.
A Ford Focus throttle body had to be replaced because half of the throttle plate had beed broken off some how.

Ive replaced a bunch. Most were for a performance upgrade. Others were usually because of neglect or the owner messing with it and screwing it up.

When a TBI engine had a leaking throttle shaft, or simply the injectors failed, my friends would get a 100% rebuilt TBI unit.

I heard once that Nissan had to replace entire engines because the screws in the TB would loosen and destroy the entire engine. Replacing those TBs in advance made sense.

The cable actuated ones are easy. Usually 4 fasteners holding it in place.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I put a Dodge V8 TB on my engine about 7 or 8 years ago. There was nothing wrong with my V6 TB, I just did it to add a little more power. I bought a used V8 TB from a 5.2 at the local you pull it yard one rainy August Saturday. It is kind of a common mod for the 3.9 and it does help increase power in the lower to middle power band. It helps a bit on take-off from a dead stop but is most noticeable when I gear down to pass another vehicle. My IAC, TPS and MAP sensors all transferred from my V6 TB.

Unless you tuned the vehicle to allow for more fuel you wasted your time and effort and cost yourself mid-range torque in the process.
With a larger tb more volume of air can travel thus lowering resistance and full pedal however with lighter throttle inputs the velocity of the air traveling slows and can cause hesitation and sluggish performance. An aftermarket cai exhasurbates the problem.

Velocity is crucial because that fast moving air helps fuel vapourize so slowing it down will create an uneven or incomplete burn because the flame can't propogate effectively.

Actually it is sort of tuned for more fuel because I use a 180 degree thermostat, stock is 195. I also use spark plugs that are one heat range colder than stock, but I never really noticed any drop in MPG. And as for being sluggish or hesitating, the TB has never caused that problem. My truck ran fine before I changed the TB, and it runs fine now, always has. The V8 TB just adds a bit of get up and go in the middle to upper range of the power band.

I would use a new gasket when changing (or even just removing and replacing for other repairs) a TB, even if the manual claims one can reuse the old one (mine claims you HAVE TO replace each time with a new one).

Saving the cost of the gasket is just NOT worth the chance of getting all of the code setting vacuum leaks.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back