Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 in UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New poster from UK here.

Our UK Costcos have Castrol and Mobil oils for the same price. Sometimes there are deals on them.

I want to stock up next time there is a deal. Should I go for the Castrol Edge or the Mobil 1? Which one is better?

They're both as good as each other tbh, but you can get much better stuff from Opie Oils
wink.gif

I've never seen any convincing evidence that Castrol Edge is better or worse than Mobil 1. Either choice. No clear winner at all!! I've been using Castrol Edge products because a few years ago Mobil1 had some quality control issues related to excessive wear in their synthetic oils, and Castrol Edge does use the advanced titanium anti-wear additives ("The measurements revealed that the antiwear enhancement comes from titanium chemically bound into the metal structure of the engine surface, forming a hard oxide, iron titanate." from http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1725/antiwear-additive-engine-oil ). Giving Castrol the edge for me.

My reasons are really weak ones, and if anybody says one oil is better than another, I'd demand some proof. Use either Castrol or M1 with confidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
They're both as good as each other tbh, but you can get much better stuff from Opie Oils
wink.gif

Yes according to the salesman who happens to recommend the stuff with the highest margin.

The purple stuff is massively overrated

Both great products, can't really go wrong with either, but since you are Brit, and Castrol is British save some jobs in Europe.

Penrite is gaining popularity with its stout 15-50 PAO-ESTER formula for v-twin bikes. they make quite a variety + tell you what group oils are used unlike most others!!!

Is Castrol Edge made with PAO's instead of Mobil 1's Group III base oil?

I read here that PAO's perform better in cold conditions. It's getting colder and colder here thanks to climate change so perhaps the PAO will outperform the Group III.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
wink.gif

Yes according to the salesman who happens to recommend the stuff with the highest margin.

Purple stuff IS overrated, but Amsoil, Motul, Redline, Fuchs, Gulf, Millers are all top-notch, and if you don't like the salesman who recommends stuff that earns him commission (isn't that what all sales staff do?) then you should buy 5 litre jugs of TripleQX from carparts4less, £12 for a gallon of synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ThorpeyD

I read here that PAO's perform better in cold conditions. It's getting colder and colder here thanks to climate change so perhaps the PAO will outperform the Group III.

In cold weather I would give advantage to Castrol 0W40.
However, I am talking about -20 or -30 degrees, not what you facing in England, where 5W40 will do very good too.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
wink.gif

Purple stuff IS overrated, but Amsoil, Motul, Redline, Fuchs, Gulf, Millers are all top-notch, and if you don't like the salesman who recommends stuff that earns him commission (isn't that what all sales staff do?) then you should buy 5 litre jugs of TripleQX from carparts4less, £12 for a gallon of synthetic.

He owns the company, its not commission.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: ThorpeyD

In cold weather I would give advantage to Castrol 0W40.

Why is that? Is it a myth or fact?

"Mobil 1 0W-40 is made with a proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with a precisely balanced component system."

So M1 0W40 basestock contains both PAO and ester. Where did Group III base oil come from?

Castrol Edge made with PAO, where? Don't you think Castrol would brag about it if that's the case?

Originally Posted By: 00Max00
Where did Group III base oil come from?

Hint: Katrina. When there was a shortage of PAO at one point, M1 included some group III/VISOM components. Supposedly they have returned to PAO (partially), based on what I've read.

Quote:

Castrol Edge made with PAO, where? Don't you think Castrol would brag about it if that's the case?

They won't brag about it because
1) not all Edge grades contain it. Only Edge 0w-40 and 0w-30 contain large quantities of it. If they were to brag about these two grades only, it would make all the other grades seem inferior. Castrol does not want that.

2) Oil makers change formulations all the time. They don't want to brag about one particular component as that would make it difficult for them to switch out to something else if they had to. Besides, it's not any one particular component that matters. It's the overall formulation and the mfg specs that it meets.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Besides, it's not any one particular component that matters. It's the overall formulation and the mfg specs that it meets.

M1 0W40 actually looks better on paper.

Viscosity Index 185 vs 169
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)@ 40º C 75 vs 79, same @100C 13.5
Flash Point is higher with the Castrol, but different test methods. Many specs are not directly comparable however, very annoying.

The issue with Costco is it depends what vehicle you have.

They stock 0w40 NewLife and 0w40 Turbo Diesel only at my local Costco.

Castrol Edge is sometimes on offer but not often and is only in 4litre containers when Mobil1 is in 5litre.

Also the prices of oil on Costco has not really changed in 4/5 yrs apart from the occasional offer when you get a few ££ off per bottle.

If you vehicle requires a low Saps oil then your choice is Castrol anyway, either Edge or Magnatec.

Somehow I always liked more Castrol than Mobil or Shell. All my cars sounded better with Castrol compared to the Shell or Mobil. With Mobil engines sounded poor. I know that doesn't mean anything but I like engines to be quiet.
Sorry for OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back