2015 Honda Civic CVT belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

The current 9 gen Honda Civic has a CVT, with a rubber belt. What is the change interval
for the belt, or, is it really considered a "maintenance free" item?? Can this belt really
last to 175,000-200,000 miles without failing??

I can not seem to get a straight answer on this!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
Hi,

The current 9 gen Honda Civic has a CVT, with a rubber belt. What is the change interval
for the belt, or, is it really considered a "maintenance free" item?? Can this belt really
last to 175,000-200,000 miles without failing??

I can not seem to get a straight answer on this!

I sincerely doubt that the CVT belt is "Rubber"......They are generally either steel (Sort of akin to HIVO chain) or Kevlar. They are designed not to slip, at all. As long as the fluid is kept up to snuff, the belt is not a failure point. CVTs die of things that conventional ATs die of.....Including solenoids and valve body problems. The actual friction areas are also possible wear items. But the belt is unlikely to fail.

I doubt as well, that the belt is rubber. Some CVT's do go the distance, Honda seems to have a good track record with there CTV's vs Nissan, Toyota makes some good ones as well. Just do your best to maintain it, and don't drive like a crazy person, this will help.

last that I saw: CVT rubber belt was primarily used in externally-exposed tranny used in golf carts.

Last that I saw a diagram of a broken down Subaru CVT trannie: the belt was made of metal.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back