Dealership damaged headlight.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had my brake fluid flushed out at the Honda dealer, they called my name when they were finished and I checked out as usual. Went out to my car and there were grease stains on the carpet (surprise surprise) so that ticked me a little. I drove right home and gave it a thorough look over, to find my front left headlight has scratches on it!! GREAT!! I just washed my car last night at they were not there, and if any of you are like me, you know every single scratch on your car and you know when and how a new one appears. I immediately called the dealer and spoke with the secretary, she seemed concerned and let me know my service adviser would call me back "urgently", ok thats a good start. Ten minutes later he called and I let him know the issue, he didn't seem all that concerned but let me know that his manager was in a meeting and that I could come back at 1:00 to speak with him. So back I go on a 30 minute drive to have him look at it. The scrapes aren't severe but they are noticeable and IMO things like this shouldn't happen, and when they do the offender should take care of the issue. So Ill be going back over at 1:00, I am hoping he takes this seriously and doesn't blow me off.
Here is a pic, its a bad pic and I tried to get the best angle to see the damage, hard to see on camera, but its there. What would you do in this situation?
20150410_1106181_zpse6ovziei.jpg

You don't have a leg to stand on. You would have had to do a walk-around before and after service. They don't have to do a thing but good luck, let us know.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
You don't have a leg to stand on. You would have had to do a walk-around before and after service. They don't have to do a thing but good luck, let us know.

Yes, I should have, they parked the nose as far up as they could to a wall, these scratches may be why. I just hope they do the right thing.

Unfortunately +1

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Yes, I should have, they parked the nose as far up as they could to a wall, these scratches may be why. I just hope they do the right thing.

Mention that and the grease stains. Overall it goes to the carelessness of the service people. Did they put down any paper or plastic on the seat?

So they'll replace or buff out the light and probably do some other damage while it's there for that service. You just can't win.

I don't take my Mustang anywhere.

+12

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

+12

+13

Good luck, be prepared for an epic B-S story.

I learned with a minivan we once owned to just not take it to the dealership. Even though it was under warranty, I did a lot of repairs myself, because stuff just gets broken by careless hands. I'm sure that there was no malice in any of it...in the scratching of your lamp or in how the car was parked. Dealerships are mass-production organizations; they need to get stuff in and out to stay alive financially. None of that excuses what happened...that's just the way it is.

Good on your for doing something few do: flush their brake fluid. Next time, if you can't do it yourself, try to find a good independent mechanic.

They treat it just like you would treat a rental. Or a work van/truck/whatever. "It's just a scratch, why do you care?"

In defense, that kind of scratch would not impact trade in value would it?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+12

+13

Yep, Im just going to try and be polite but firm, just state the facts, hoping it will work out in my favor.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible...

These are just some of the few reasons why many of us have recommended to perform simple maintenance tasks by yourself when you have posted in the past.

Hope it all goes well. Maybe it's time to do a wet sand and buff of your headlights...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
I mean this in the most respectful way possible...

These are just some of the few reasons why many of us have recommended to perform simple maintenance tasks by yourself when you have posted in the past.

Hope it all goes well. Maybe it's time to do a wet sand and buff of your headlights...

Red, trust me I understand and appreciate the encouragement. I didn't even know how to change my oil 2 years ago. I do all the simple maintenance items by myself, I am just not comfortable with brake maintenance. I am hoping for the best. About to head back to the dealer, I'll update you all when I get back.

I would think you have more of a fight with the grease stains than the scratches.

I know a guy who walks the customer to the car and removes the dealer paper mat himself in front of the customer.

You should be great full that the dealership will accept your car for service. You should take their advice and then pay the bill with a smile. That's their business model and you had better learn to conform. After all they are the dealer (lol).

Are the scratches severe? No. But they weren't there when you pulled in, your car is getting old but I've seen pictures of it on here and it looks like brand new, and any damage caused by someone else needs to be fixed by whoever did it. I know on my car if a headlight were damaged by the dealer it would be $350+ tax to replace, so $380. Scratches like that don't come out of plastic well.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+12

+13

Yep, Im just going to try and be polite but firm, just state the facts, hoping it will work out in my favor.

You might get lucky.........

+14 Good luck to you and the Redsox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back