Need A Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get a generator to replace mine that I left at Mom's house indefinitely. How much generator do I need to run a fridge, fan and a lamp? I can get them running, but don't know jack about the electrical side. Hate to buy another 4500 Watt one. THANKS!

Agreed with BELOW poster, you don't need much umph.

I would be looking at the Honda EU series.

Last edited:
A fridge is about 750 max depending on model. A fan and a lamp are going to be less than 100 each. Depending on how much over head you want you can get by with something pretty small like 1500 watts.

What's your budget? Honda generators are pretty sweet and quiet too.

You should figure the starting load of the refrig. What about cooking or heat? If this is a backup, then I am sold on propane. Get a 100 lb tank of propane and good to go.

Get a 3600 RPM generator with around a 5.5 hp motor. It'll have about a 2500 watt head. Save the inverter gadgets for the yuppies. With presumed infrequent use, the capacitors & such will dry out before they pay for themselves. The "Chonda" generics, especially the Champion brand, give lots of bang for the $$$.

The flywheel effect of the spinning mass will help kick the fridge on.

Incidentally, I ran my fridge off a $79 HF 2-smoke. The secret was running a hair dryer first to get it to rev up, then cutting off the hair dryer at the same time as plugging in the fridge. Once the fridge started, it only drew 280 watts.

2000w inverter generator is a great choice. Quiet, efficient, easy to use and start, and clean output are some things you might want.

My Honda and Yamaha never failed and have been thru many acts of mother nature. Competitors are available cheaper now.

I wont even consider a "hope it starts, runs, and doesnt fry anything" generator.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Get a 3600 RPM generator with around a 5.5 hp motor. It'll have about a 2500 watt head. Save the inverter gadgets for the yuppies. With presumed infrequent use, the capacitors & such will dry out before they pay for themselves. The "Chonda" generics, especially the Champion brand, give lots of bang for the $$$.

Incidentally, I ran my fridge off a $79 HF 2-smoke. The secret was running a hair dryer first to get it to rev up, then cutting off the hair dryer at the same time as plugging in the fridge. Once the fridge started, it only drew 280 watts.

Yea, that will get the fridge to run for one cycle, but refrigerators cycle on and off and the next cycle when it tries to start will not work unless you run the hair dryer again. What you really require is a generator with enough Watts to handle the start-up load without you doing anything fancy with a hair dryer, or any other load.

I have a Colman 2200/2500 generator. 5hp B&S engine. I have run 2 fridge/freezers, large TV, couple of lamps without issue. Earlier this year it would not start a 2hp compressor. It's noisy and uses a lot of fuel, but it has kept us going a number of times over the years.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

Yea, that will get the fridge to run for one cycle, but refrigerators cycle on and off and the next cycle when it tries to start will not work unless you run the hair dryer again. What you really require is a generator with enough Watts to handle the start-up load without you doing anything fancy with a hair dryer, or any other load.

Why I mentioned "incidentally"... if a 800 watt rated will pull it off with drama, so would a 2000 watt without.

There are many who overbuy generator capacity, and waste gas, and weight.

Go for the Honda. I've had their little EU1000 for so long, I bought it in the last millennium. Took us thru work projects, electrical panel upgrades, hurricanes and windstorms. Runs 8 hours of 1/2 gallon and its literally almost inaudible outside on the deck. Oh and never been serviced, I just keep it clean & change the oil every couple of years.
It still looks like new.

Or go for the bang for the buck. Noisy when it works and going into the recycling/dumpster making its last bang.

Get one that will handle the startup capacity of your refrigerator, along with a few lights and anything else you may need for an extended outage. The last thing you want when there is a power outage is an underpowered generator; a decent sized unit isn't that much more expensive, and well worth it when you also want to run the furnace and freezer during an outage. Think about what you really need and really want to run during a multi-day outage, do the math and decide from there.

Leave the hair dryer in the bathroom where it belongs and get a generator with enough capacity for your wife to use it when she gets ready in morning, with the lights on and the refrigerator running.

^^^what Pop_Rivit said^^^

To reliably run a fridge, an air conditioner, a well pump...anything with a motor...you either need a conventional generator with a big flywheel or a larger than necessary inverter.

And don't undersize the generator just to save a couple bucks. Yes, going too big is a waste, but going too small may be troublesome when it won't start the fridge with the fan and the lamp already on, and won't keep up with future needs.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
I need to get a generator to replace mine that I left at Mom's house indefinitely. How much generator do I need to run a fridge, fan and a lamp? I can get them running, but don't know jack about the electrical side. Hate to buy another 4500 Watt one. THANKS!

I'm surprised you don't have several in your parts inventory!

I like your way of thinking, in terms of get the smallest you can tolerate. To me, the key is fuel conservation when you're in power outage situations.

Buying new and keeping costs as low as possible, I'd get something like this: eBay Chonda

I've got a 20yr/old ~1600w coleman powermate suitcase generator that would easily power up and sustain what you want to run.

Last edited:

Come on, Elk I've got a late 50s S Line with the factory electrolytics still ok. What kills them quickly is heat.

If you have a well pump you'll need about 6KW to be on the safe side. The newer OHV and OHC engines burn a lot less gas. Propane is good, natural gas is better if it's provided in your area. On either you'll have to derate the output. I'd say be at least 15%.

2000 honda inverter ran my fridge, fans, a few lamps, AND the neighbor's fridge for nearly a week during tornado troubles, and that's in "eco mode" where it ran at the miinimal-required rpm. was quiet, sipped fuel, and never missed a beat. Had countless hours running power tools also. That would be my first suggestion, or the similarly-sized yamaha inverter. I've owned 2 inverter gensets, and while I don't load them up with the big air compressor or large loads like that, but I've been very pleased with the inverters I've owned.

You may consider using an inverter for the limited needs that you described. There is a lot of information here: www.steven1234.com. There are links to several websites, references, and free audio classes. I found it all very informative.

I have a propane-powered Yamaha inverter 2400 watt generator and a couple of inverters as a backup to the backup.

....John

I'd vote for a Honda/Yamaha 2000W inverter as well. Leave a few quarts of tru-fuel and they could run for a few days, turning it on and off as needed for the fridge. I have a 3000W inverter with electric start, but its a heavy pig if you have to pick it up.

JTK...I only keep 2 of them and a mess of parts. Both are out with family members. I figure you can never have enough new or used junk around the garage.

BTW, do most of the Chonda engines run a 3/4" shaft so I could use one of several engines I have on hand to repower it after the Chonda goes Tango Uniform?

After Sandy I purchased a Briggs & Stratton 5500W running, 8250W surge generator. I installed a manual transfer switch with watt meters. This easily powers my entire house if need be plus I can help my neighbors with their essentials. In the summer all we need to power is the fridge occasionally, the furnace for hot water and some lights sometimes. In the winter running it for the furnace more for heat, hot water, lights and fridge. We have a kerosine heater that does a great job at heating the house. Using the generator wisely makes the fuel last. This generator is fairly fuel efficient for it's size.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back