'95 Jeep 4.0L I6 : Found My New Oil !

Status
Not open for further replies.
After experimenting with different oil & oil filter combos for 1995 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0L I6 engine - I finally found my winning combination :
(Drum Roll please) ... Pennzoil 10W30 High Mileage Conventional Oil with Fram Toughguard TG16 oil filter (TG8A oversize) run at 5K mile OCI . The engine (200K+ miles) runs smooth ,oil has great add pack , good cleaning , good oil pressure , no leaks , cost effective . * For anybody with an older Jeep with a 4.0L I6 engine - you would be hard pressed to find a combo oil & oil filter you like better than above . At the very least , the above combo should be on your short list of combo oil & oil Filters to try !

Congrat's!
It's nice when you find the perfect combo for any vehicle. I too have found the perfect combo for our vehicles.

I am liking QS oils overall(QSGB, QSUD & DEFY). I like the extra level of quietness that the QS oils offer my engines and the prices that I typically buy them at!
smile.gif
PYB & PP too!

I am sure there are a number of oils that would provide the same result. Did you have any oil leaks? I would not use a HM oil unless I had leaky seals that I could not replace.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am sure there are a number of oils that would provide the same result. Did you have any oil leaks? I would not use a HM oil unless I had leaky seals that I could not replace.

In a 20 year-old engine it's a fair bet seals are getting brittle with age. Seems like a reasonable idea to get extra seal conditioners in a HM oil into the engine before the seals start to be a problem.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: Donald

In a 20 year-old engine it's a fair bet seals are getting brittle with age. Seems like a reasonable idea to get extra seal conditioners in a HM oil into the engine before the seals start to be a problem.

Synthetic oil has plenty of seal conditioners, but no seal swellers.

Chris -

Your combination is spot on.

When I had my 1991 Jeep Cherokee with I6, I would frequently use that combo for the last 3 years I owned it.

It was the smoothest and quietist that I ever heard in 20 years of owning that Jeep. Also, it ran cooler and got slightly better gas mileage. FWIW

GL

i have been using that for years in my 4.0 jeep Only in the summer in the winter i use 5w30 yellow bottle or 10w30 yellow bottle the high milege is to thick for the cold winters. I used purolater filters but i since changed to Wix.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Pennzoil causes sludge

My father used the pennzoil and qs of the 70s and 80s, in the yellow and white cans, in what became my first car, for 100k miles. I took it apart, engine looked like it was full of tar and coal.

Now the brand is owned by SOPUS, and even dino oil has come a long way. I personally am turned off to the name Pennzoil, but is it really still so bad?

Ive used that pennzoil bronze bottle and its gud earl! Like it better than their Dexos1 SemiSyn, even.
About as good or better than the Old Red Bottle QS HM 10w30 with slick50. NK this was good stuff - got an NOS bottle of that for good memories.
Not Fooling around here.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
No.
smile.gif

You were supposed to look at my signature.

LOLOL I missed the signature but felt the sarcasm.

Glad you found the right one ChrisD....

Last edited:
Only a fool would not use PHM 10w30
smile.gif
...smooth as silk and HTHS 3.3 oil.

Delo 15w30 is pretty good as well.

To add : I was just starting to get a slight drip (referred by many as a : "Jeep marking it's territory" hence why I went to the HM formula . Since I live in Georgia I just stay with 10W 30 in the Jeep year round - however I may change to 5W30 for a short OCI from Dec. - March as we had several nights down in the teens and the high during the day never reached 30 degrees F. On those days the jeep turned over a little slower but still ran ok on 10W30 however 5W30 may be better below 30F.

Trading a little easier cold starting for a bigger glob of VII in the 5w30 grade?..nonsense.

That's not sludge...They are Pennzoil Intelligent Molecules(TM) huddling to stay warm for easier cold starts. Everyone knows that.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Only a fool would not use PHM 10w30
smile.gif
...smooth as silk and HTHS 3.3 oil.

Delo 15w30 is pretty good as well.

I don't use it...guess I'm a
43.gif

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
* For anybody with an older Jeep with a 4.0L I6 engine - you would be hard pressed to find a combo oil & oil filter you like better than above . At the very least , the above combo should be on your short list of combo oil & oil Filters to try !

Congratulations on your "find" and I'm glad you hit the winning combination.
BTW, I've got two '96 Cherokees and a '98 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 engine. The total mileage on all of them is is now about 620K miles. I've run lots of different brands of oil and quite a few different filter brands without noticing any changes in noise, performance or oil pressure. I'm currently running TropArtic ($2/quart) and I still have some cheapie Fram-clone oil filters from an O'Reilly deal to use up.
But, hey, it's nice to hear you found the combination that works best for you....

Great combo no doubt, best I've found as well. I can get just about the same results with a Napa Silver or FL-400s, but it's gotta be the Pennzoil to make the magic work.

Works great in my Ford 4.0 V6 too. Engine has never been so quiet. I have tried other oils and went back to it.

I used it in my 3800 V6 and noticed no difference between that and Mobil 1 HM in terms of noise or performance. I like the peace of mind of the synthetic content of the Mobil 1 HM for the driving I do in the Firebird (many hours of stop and go traffic in car cruises, some spirited driving, some cold temps in early spring and late fall, etc.) so I'd prefer that for my purposes. If I had a more consistent driving style with it along with more stable temperatures, I would probably go with the Pennzoil instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back