Coolant exploded everywhere....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out driving the 2002 Silverado this evening (6.0 engine) when the belt started squeaking, so I took it easy the rest of the way home. When we got out something smelled odd, then we heard dripping. I looked under the truck and coolant was dripping everywhere! What? I tried to track down the source, all hoses look to be attached, radiator appears good, overflow tank is good. Where is this coolant coming from? If it makes any difference the overflow tank is completely empty of coolant. Thankfully we were almost home and the engine did not overheat at all.

The water pumps on these trucks are known to leak from the bottom when they're dying, it's a feature. She needs a water pump likely. I think you can rent a pressure tester at the auto parts store, hook onto radiator and pump up to 16 psi and you'll find the leak.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The water pumps on these trucks are known to leak from the bottom when they're dying, it's a feature. She needs a water pump likely. I think you can rent a pressure tester at the auto parts store, hook onto radiator and pump up to 16 psi and you'll find the leak.

But would this drain all the coolant in a matter of minutes? Mind you it was draining when the truck was off.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If it was still draining weren't you able to determine it location?

It was dark outside, I started looking from above, then below, but all I could see is where it was dripping off from the under shield. Its all over the suspension parts, all over the underside, it even sprayed on the battery (on left) and over by the overflow tank (on right) its everywhere.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

But would this drain all the coolant in a matter of minutes? Mind you it was draining when the truck was off.
It's a possibility, although it could also be the water pump shaft leaking. Those can leak good!

Replace all the coolant hoses, radiator, water pump, heater core, head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, thermostat housing, and reservoir hose. That should take care of the leak.

About a half a year ago on my '03 Suburban with a 5.3, the plastic end piece or "header" on the radiator developed a crack for no particular reason. Same thing, sprayed all over the place. Replaced the radiator and both hoses.

Water pump gaskets
Water pump shaft seal
Drivers side side tank of radiator
Heater hose quick connect fittings

Check all those. Those are all the weak points of that system.

Core plug could have popped out. Might as well throw in a create engine too.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Replace all the coolant hoses, radiator, water pump, heater core, head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, thermostat housing, and reservoir hose. That should take care of the leak.

You have to find the leak before you do anything. When you have a nice good bunch of daylight, take a clean rag and wipe off the coolant that still may be hanging around, refill the coolant reservoir with some water, crank the vehicle and get the fluids moving until you see it dripping or spraying or whatever is happening. Only then can you identify the problem and proceed with the fix.
Calling for help at this point is just a guess.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I was so worried because I thought you were talking about your Accord.

Thankfully no, I'm at the dealer now having the brake fluid flushed though.

yeah when a pressurized system gets a leak anywhere near moving parts and a big *** fan, coolant will spray everything down....

agree with above, fill - start - watch it warm up, eyeball the location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back