Pennzoil Platinum PP 5w-30, 5525 miles, Hyun. 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
This OCI was a few hundred miles longer than intended due to an unexpected trip on short notice. It should be noted that this OCI saw a LOT of warm-ups / idling due to the cold temps we had throughout the winter--that may be responsible for the minimal fuel dilution we see here. Overall, not too bad IMO.

img051.jpg

Yeah, the fuel was definitely thinning it out. Personally, with a turbo, I'd only use synthetic. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for sharing Robster. Yes, it thinned out but the wear metals look fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing. If the viscosity loss troubles you, you can always change the oil a little earlier. I do so at 4k.

I haven't done one on my SFS 2.0T but i can share what I've noticed regarding break-in. Initially, up to 10k to 12k miles, the oil would turn black within 1k miles since oil changed, and the exhaust tips would be flat black due to soot. Since that time (now at 25k miles) the oil now turns darker but never black and my tips remain chrome much longer. Incidentally, the oil has never smelled like fuel. Not very scientific, i know. But definite changes.

Last edited:
I thought that most oils gradually thickened after a few thousand miles, phenomenon?

ARCO. . .you may be right, although I think the thinning can be directly attributed to the fuel dilution caused by my wife using her remote-start (idling) throughout the winter. We went to Maine twice this winter where the temps were below zero every day and my wife (who HATES the cold) made certain the car was WARM before got in it! I think any oil would have had some dilution under those conditions.

Thanks for posting this report, looks good.

I have a sample sitting in my basement since September that I need to sent out, it's PUE 5W-40, I wonder how it did.

Did you do a lot of city driving or mostly highway?

-Thanks

My wife is the primary user of this vehicle--her commute to work is about 10 minutes of highway speed and 10 minutes of stop / go traffic. We also end up doing some long trips every month, so it's about a 50/50 mix of driving type.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Thanks for posting this report, looks good.

I have a sample sitting in my basement since September that I need to sent out, it's PUE 5W-40, I wonder how it did.

Did you do a lot of city driving or mostly highway?

-Thanks

Originally Posted By: BrianC
GDI engines=some fuel dilution= thinner

Exactly why my next change on the Eco-Beast will be GC 0w-40 to account for this.

Otherwise looks like a great UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back