C-130 landing on aircraft carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Not only did they do it once, they did it many times:

Quote:
"The initial sea trials started on Oct. 30 1963 and were conducted into a 40-knot wind: however the crew successfully performed 29 touch-and-go landings, 21 unarrested full-stop landings, and 21 unassisted takeoffs at gross weights of 85,000 pounds up to 121,000 pounds."

We have a reserve squadron of C-130s in my area; I also think it might be my favorite aircraft ever made. They are just BEASTS and can do anything and everything. Tanks of the air. I'm glad they have the new C-130 J model with all the latest technology; why ditch a proven airframe with something new when you can retrofit the old design with modern avionics/flight controls.

Hello, You asked, "... why ditch a proven airframe with something new when you can retrofit the old design with modern avionics/flight controls".

So the current generation of filthy politician can route defense spending to his friends and relatives. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, You asked, "... why ditch a proven airframe with something new when you can retrofit the old design with modern avionics/flight controls".

So the current generation of filthy politician can route defense spending to his friends and relatives. Kira

Yeah, because that would ~never~ happen if they released an RFP for a brand new airframe! Upgrading the 130s to -J models is far less expensive than designing and procuring a completely new aircraft, which likely wouldn't outperform the current one anyway.

I know, I wrote a lot of the software (and algorithms-systems work) for the C-130J avionics HGS (Head-up Guidance System, aka "HUD") optical flip-down gizmos.
That was in 1996, so the J model isn't new at all.
I guess "new" is a relative term when talking about C-130's !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back