Using A Good Filter on a Short OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prematurely changing any filter be it oil, air or hydraulic can cause an increase in wear because filter’s need to be seasoned, by that I mean a new filter will initially pass larger micron particles because the media is not perfectly uniform.
Placing it in operation will introduce contaminants that will plug the openings resulting in a filter that actually increases its ability to capture smaller particles.
There are two basic ratings for filters, flow and micron rating.
A new filter has the least flow restriction but also passes larger particles so it is less efficient at catching them.
As the filter ages the flow capacity goes down but the filters ability to capture smaller particles goes up.
This can be demonstrated by taking a shop vac and installing a new standard filter element and then vacuuming up some cold fine fire place ash. You will notice a brief puff of dust coming from the vacuum discharge.
The filter’s large pores are now plugged (filter is seasoned) but the flow is greatly reduced.
The optimum scenario would be to use the filter until the flow requirements no longer meets the requirements of the equipment.
That’s why all heavy equipment have filter minders on their air filters.

Originally Posted By: Ducati996
Prematurely changing any filter be it oil, air or hydraulic can cause an increase in wear because filter’s need to be seasoned, by that I mean a new filter will initially pass larger micron particles because the media is not perfectly uniform.
Placing it in operation will introduce contaminants that will plug the openings resulting in a filter that actually increases its ability to capture smaller particles.
There are two basic ratings for filters, flow and micron rating.
A new filter has the least flow restriction but also passes larger particles so it is less efficient at catching them.
As the filter ages the flow capacity goes down but the filters ability to capture smaller particles goes up.
This can be demonstrated by taking a shop vac and installing a new standard filter element and then vacuuming up some cold fine fire place ash. You will notice a brief puff of dust coming from the vacuum discharge.
The filter’s large pores are now plugged (filter is seasoned) but the flow is greatly reduced.
The optimum scenario would be to use the filter until the flow requirements no longer meets the requirements of the equipment.
That’s why all heavy equipment have filter minders on their air filters.

A couple more years, and my blue fiberglass furnace filter will be as good as a Honeywell
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewie
I would run a Fram ultra, it is cheap and one of the best filters

+1 ..... at twice the OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back