NHTSA: Wash your vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working I'm a shop I Can tell you I see more early through mid 2000's Chevy trucks come In needing brake lines because they blew out than any other vehicle by far. I'm not being biased in any way mind you. I am jut reporting what I've personally seen. Either Chevy owners are bigger slobs and don't maintenance their vehicles as good as other owners of other brands or their design/ quality is questionable.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Does this mean that there is going to be a Department of Car Wash Control with annual certifications like smog certs?

Monthly, but during winter months only.

Quit putting so much salt on the road and the problem will decrease...but then we'd have more crashes because of lack of skill and proper tires...again...fault of the consumer.

I like the idea of using something other than steel that won't rust. Like nicopp or something.

I'm normally not a ford guy but I applaud their use of an aluminum frame on the new f150. I'm hoping that sort of rust-resistant idea will permeate to the rest of the car. Granted I think they did it for weight concerns, but still. Going to be nice not having holes in the frame.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
I like the idea of using something other than steel that won't rust. Like nicopp or something.

I'm normally not a ford guy but I applaud their use of an aluminum frame on the new f150. I'm hoping that sort of rust-resistant idea will permeate to the rest of the car. Granted I think they did it for weight concerns, but still. Going to be nice not having holes in the frame.

Direct from the Ford website:

ALUMINUM-ALLOY BODY AND STEEL FRAME
Over 10 million miles of cumulative testing in the making.

Class-exclusive* cab and box fabricated from high-strength, military grade, aluminum alloys
Fully boxed frame with eight crossmembers (five through-welded) made of up to 78 percent 70,000-psi high-strength steel (up from 23 percent in the 2014 F-150 frame); up to 60 lbs. lighter with state-of-the-art roll-forming process that minimizes weight

So just an aluminum body. Frame is still steel.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Quit putting so much salt on the road and the problem will decrease

This the undercarriage of my 02 Silverado 2500 HD.

We don't use salt out here. It is kind of nice.

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

Glad I don't live in the rust belt.

If rusty brake lines are normal why are the brake lines on my 2000 Jetta completely rust free. This is in Cleveland, where you could rinse the underside of the car daily and it still would be just as salty after 1 mile.

Ive been using it for years and its the only thing i will use for brakes, fuel and transmission lines.
It has become so popular now even AA stocks it, before you had to get Cunifer which was more expensive but the NiCopp is every bit as good. Its cheap if you take into consideration its a one time only repair.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
If rusty brake lines are normal why are the brake lines on my 2000 Jetta completely rust free. This is in Cleveland, where you could rinse the underside of the car daily and it still would be just as salty after 1 mile.

VW uses poly armour lines for the brakes, good stuff. Porsche uses Nicop, even better stuff.

Great idea washing the car but most of the "automatic" car washes close here in winter. Even the self serve bays close.

When it is below 32 for weeks on end what are you supposed to do? I'm not going to wash the car just to scrape the windows.

Seems like a logical decision. Apparently a lot of people don't know that they, from time to time, should wash off the underside of their vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I've found the best underbody wash is driving in the rain.

Me too. Some streets near my house have standing water after moderate rain, driving at around 25-30 MPH over standing water do very good of cleaning under the car.

But, the problem is we have very few rainy days a year, mostly during the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back