Recc's for a good TRIPOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry this post doesn't have pics, but it's related, so:

Researching for a friend who wants to buy it for hubby's Bday:
(she knows i like photography, but I have never owned a real tripod)

Her criteria:
- budget: a few hundred dollars is ok. ($300??)
- must be good quality.
- doesn't HAVE to be travel friendly, but foldable is a plus (aren't most of them foldable anyway)

What do you photography fans use? any tips on what I should recommend her?

Thanks IA.

But it shows a screw on top where the camera mounts - isn't that all you need ?
(I guess not)

Last edited:
It would be very impractical to try to screw a camera onto that screw directly. Normally there is a mounting plate that screws onto the camera, and then the mounting plate snaps into the head.

Besides, without a head, you'd have no control of any angle adjustment. All your photos would have to be straight on. Trust me, you need a head, or a tripod that already has the head included.
smile.gif

Example:
http://amzn.com/B008RJP9XY

I have the entry level Bogen/Manfrotto tripod, it was $125 or so, pod & head, in the late 1990s.

I definitely recommend it. Use a simple head for still photography, the fancy ones (fluid etc) are for smooth video pans.

Taking time to frame your pictures, and the inconvenience a tripod provides, helps immensely.

I have a bogen for the mid 80's , i understand its no longer called that. Very sturdy. I'd check ebay for one.

look at this tripod, and a better head for it below the tripod is currently $9.00 the head under it is currently $20.

www.ebay.com/itm/1Cent-No-Reserve-Bogen-Manfrotto-3001-Tripod-with-3126-Fluid-Head-/271831123981

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bogen-3047-3-Way-Tripod-Head-Universal-
/141631354727

P.S. oops i just saw this was to be a birthday present, sorry you probably want new for that!!

Last edited:
I sent her the link that QP posted last, the tripod with a head.
Told her to look at it and do further reading on the other links posted by others, too.
Hopefully that will help her to narrow things down and decide.

Thanks again for ALL the tips/comments, etc!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back