Using a high zinc oil in a Harley with catalyst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 14 Ultra Limited with the catalyst. I have always used Mobil 1 oils in my 3 HD's. I used to run the 15-50 in my 2000 with no problems. I have a stash of the 15-50 and was wondering if it would be ok to use in the 14 even tho it says it has extra zinc for wear protection. Will that hurt the catalyst? It's under warranty for 5 yrs.

As mentioned unless it is burning oil there will not be a problem. Cars with cataltic converters ran high zinc oil for over 20 years without massive amounts of dead cats in the days of SH, SJ, and SL oils.

Also...when it comes to protecting my engine or my exhaust system, I am going to protect my engine.

Thanks guys. I assume the "increased zinc" comes in the form of ZDDP in that oil. So you guys would use it?

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Thanks guys. I assume the "increased zinc" comes in the form of ZDDP in that oil. So you guys would use it?

I'm using it in my 2014 Limited. Buddy has 60k on 2010 Limited using Mobile 1 15-50 with no catalyst problems. If your not using oil it not getting to the converter.

Originally Posted By: SJohnson
Here's a UOA of M1 15/50:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2361246

Here's VOA of M1 20/50 MC oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...n_O#Post3685346

Lots more zinc & phosphorus in the MC oil. You should be fine with the 15/50.

Thanks so much. Great info. I have used that 20-50 quite a bit. Did a uoa on a 2011 LTD after 1 yr and 3000 miles. They said to go at least 5k next run but I don't like leaving it in there for over a year. I'm running HD dino in my 14, still breaking in with 1400 miles.

Last edited:
I have a 14 Ultra Limited with the catalyst. I have always used Mobil 1 oils in my 3 HD's. I used to run the 15-50 in my 2000 with no problems. I have a stash of the 15-50 and was wondering if it would be ok to use in the 14 even tho it says it has extra zinc for wear protection. Will that hurt the catalyst? It's under warranty for 5 yrs.

Remove the cats in 5 years and one day......
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog

Remove the cats in 5 years and one day......
grin2.gif

I heard that! So far heat hasn't been an issue but I haven't sat in traffic in 90deg. The water cooled heads may have something to do with it. When it gets really hot, the fans blow the heat out around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back