BATTERY PRICES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just my impression or have car batterys gotten significantly higher recently? I.m thinking like a 24f or similar. Advance even with discount are not cheap. Rural King have some $50 or so batteries but no store close. Haven't checked Sams Club. Thoughts?

Exactly! What was recently about $89 is now $136, for the EverStart GOLD at Advance Auto Parts(AAP). I have watched it rapidly climb in price in a short period of time(6 years)!

I use the(speaking of) 24F in 3 vehicles in my signature! I am also finding that, they're only lasting just 4 to 5 years
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Advance auto $40 off $125 is the best I can find on new stuff.

If you have an Interstate battery guy ask if has any blemished batteries usually heavily discounted but like new.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Advance auto $40 off $125 is the best I can find on new stuff.

If you have an Interstate battery guy ask if has any blemished batteries usually heavily discounted but like new.

They do normally have a $50 off $125 code. Once in a while you will see a $50 off $100 purchase. I jumped on that to get my battery, otherwise I would have had to use some fillers to hit $125, mine was $112 so the $50 of $100 came in handy.

Yeah.. Batteries have gone up a good bit in last six years. I found out in 2013 when I had to get a battery for my lady's car. $115 for a two yr free replacement battery. I was really surprised by that at the time. I just got a Duralast Gold battery for the Altima.. $130. So yeah prices have gone up. Heck look at beef and pork prices at the stores. They have gone up a lot too in last six to seven yrs.

Think about how many comparable auto parts are the same price (not even adjusted for inflation) they were ten or twenty years ago... brake pads, ball joints. How'd they cheapen those? How can you even see?

Buy a battery, you're buying shipping and a bunch of lead.

The days of a 40 dollar battery left town about 10 years ago, there are no sacred cows of low cost auto batteries anymore,,they are marked up way to much,imho

A small part of this is new regulations for recycling. The industry recycles 98% of car batteries sold. Some of that 2% is thought to be batteries that are still in place somewhere and not yet disposed of.

Exide's Vernon, California recycling plant that's been in business since 1922 responded to new regulations that were put into place without a comment period or contact with the recycling industry. Upon strict compliance by Exide, they were fined for exceeding lead emission levels in 2013 and 2014. The level is now 0.15µg/m3 (micrograms per meter cubed) over any period of 30 consecutive days even though the OSHA established level is 30 µg/m3 for 30 days. There were caught between dueling government agencies and the EPA won. In effect the battery recycling industry that has already been doing a stand up job for at least a 100 years is now required to emit air that is "cleaner" than ambient air by a government agency, the EPA with no oversight or recourse. This kind of regulation has got to be part of any price increase.

I just bought 2 new batteries for my F350. Advance and AZ were both in the 120 range, WM and Farm and Home around 95. Rural King, 59. I bought 2 Napa's for 85 each. I agree that batteries have easily gone up 50% in the last 5-6 years. Rural King was the cheapest of anyone though if you have one close.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
The days of a 40 dollar battery left town about 10 years ago, there are no sacred cows of low cost auto batteries anymore,,they are marked up way to much,imho

I've never seen any of these mythical, $40 batteries, except maybe used or very old ones on a clearance rack. As far back as 1995, when I started driving, I was paying around $80.00 for a battery for the Bug. At Wal-Mart or K-Mart.

Dad says a battery might have cost $40.00 ... in the 70s.

Yup. Last time I bought a Duralast at AZ for my 530i in 2008, it was around $70. When I bought a similar low end Walmart one last year, it was around $130.

Though there may be some with some search effort, personally not aware of any new $50 batteries in the 24F group size. However AAP prices currently for that group are:

Autocraft Gold with 3 year free replacement, $126.99 plus $20 core. Use online code WD514, $50 off $125 means $76.99 with returned core.

Autocraft Silver 2 year replacement, $111.99, $20 core using WD514, $40 off, means $71.99 with returned core.

Autocraft Automotive 1 year replacement , $96.99 $20 core, using WD514, $30 off, means $66.99 with returned core.

Of those I'd go with the Gold for warranty and specs. Just me.

WD514 good through Saturday night.

WD514 promo code details.

Interstate 6 year best way to go.
I have used several mini lithium ion battery. If you have a Honda or such this is a great option. I've had excellent luck with shuriken batterys which are 50 on eBay. If you have a bigger car oddesy makes a bigger mini lithium called pc925 its an excellent batter for around 130 and half the size as lead acid and half weight.

I don't care what a battery costs. I only buy Deka batteries. If you are close to a Costco, these top-of-the-line flooded batteries are re-labeled as Duracell.

I like duralast batteries golds, their prices went up around 20 to 40 dollars and they cut their warranty down too. Noticed this all happened after the recession.

Just an fyi on our average profit per battery

Napa Legend Premium 84 month $20
Napa Legend 75 month $15
Napa Power 65 month $10
Napa Lawn & Garden $5

Take $5 off each amount if the store s buying less than 3 pallets at a time. I just wanted to show that the average independent Napa isn't getting rich off battery sales. According to our factory rep, recycling and environmental issues are the biggest reason for increased battery costs i.e lead & acid.

Dave

Last edited:
+1 Quote "If you have an Interstate battery guy ask if has any blemished batteries usually heavily discounted but like new"

Three years ago called the interstate distributor and got a 35 group for $40 plus tax. 6 month warranty, replaced it on their lot due to $15 core charge. Would get another there if needed. My distributor is in Hamburg, NY.

Last edited:
Welcome to the automotive world of hyper inflation...I guess battery manufacturers want to get in on the big profits along with the oil companies and tire manufacturers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back