1979 Honda CX500 Oil choice and OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: caprice_2nv
A quick search found some cheap tires for about $65/each. That's not too bad if I can actually get them for under $100/each.

That would depend on tire brand and how old they are (clearance on 5+ yr old tires ?). That bike is 530 lbs wet, IMO cheap tires might not be a good idea on motorcycles. You only have 2 tires between you and the road, I want that area covered with good safe tires.

Your choice of tyres will be fairly restricted due to the old school sizes a CX runs, but try to stick with the "name brands". Cheaping out on motorcycle tyres can be bad for your health!

As an aside, it'd be worth checking the charging system before you start racking up the kilometers. Old Japanese bikes tend to be marginal at best - a new battery and regulator/rectifier now could save you some heartache.

Thanks. I definitely planned on checking the charging system once I get it running.

I am used to running hand me down tires since I work part time still at a Goodyear garage. And the 15" tires for my old cars are cheap anyway.

Insurance is going to be $135/month and I'm not getting to spend enough time to have the bike ready early enough this season to save any gas so my plan now is for next year hopefully to have it ready the way I want. Thanks for the advice everyone.

HOLY [censored] on the insurance! I paid about $50 a YEAR on my Honda CB500 that I just sold. Multiple bike and multi-year but still. See if you have access to Dairyland / Sentry up there!

I have 5 street bikes and only pay $600 year. Full coverage on 1 Harley and liability on the rest.

I am finishing putting back together the cx500 I bought and I will be commuting with it almost 100 miles a day through the summer anytime it isn't supposed to pour rain. I want to use a full synthetic motorcycle oil, it calls for 10w40. A liquid cooled v twin with shared sump and filter.

Since it's going to get miles piled up on it fast I don't want to cheap out on oil changes. I'm going to keep it a long time. I don't know the whole history on the bike. It came with a parts bike. The odometer reads less than 30k and the parts bike is half that. So it maybe low miles or maybe not even the original odometer.

What do you guys recommend that I might be able to buy here in Canada?
1978 Honda CX500 was my first brand new motorcycle. It was smooth, quiet, and fast. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40 is an option.

Originally Posted By: OldSparks
The OP is probably a young guy and lives in Ontari-Owe. Very expensive insurance.

I pay $650/year with no collision on a litre bike, but I'm an older dude...

Ontario insurance is cheap. I pay $465 for my 1100

What do you guys recommend that I might be able to buy here in Canada?

Canadian Goose fat and it can be had for a pop of the gun...

I put 100k on a Honda 750 using Valvoline 10w40 with no issues, motorcycle specific oils will only lighten the wallet.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
$135/mo is absurd. I pay about $170/yr for a Honda much more sporting than yours. Are you certain that it's not $135 a year?

Is that what he said?

Ontario insurance rates are absurd. 135 a month isn't expensive there. I paid 4 grand a year on a 650 dollar car when I lived there.

Sorry I was away for a while... definitely $135 a month. I'm 32 and my motorcycle license expired when I was around 20 so I have to start over. Back when I was 19 I paid $50 a month on an Xl250r with collision on it.

My car insurance is about $50/month on an 84 olds cutlass, plus about $35/ month for the 83 Caprice. Fire and theft on the cutlass, liability only on the Caprice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back