Are carrier bearings greasable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My van, like most FWD cars, has the transmission mounted off-center in the engine bay. This necessitates one axle shaft being longer than the other. The longer (passenger) shaft has an intermediate/carrier bearing about midway between the hub and the trans. I was inspecting it the other day and didn't notice any zerk fitting. Are these things supposed to be greasable?

Anything can be made greaseable
smile.gif
I've repacked non-serviceable U Joints before and still running them a few years later!

But no, they are not greaseable from the factory. Everything on most modern vehicles is not serviceable unfortunately.

Probably not serviceable, but probably not necessary, either. This intermediate jackshaft enables both axle shafts to be of equal length. Whether there's a real benefit to this or not, I don't know. I've seen it done both ways. Our 4th generation Mopar minivans had a short driver side shaft and a real long passenger side shaft (with no jackshaft). Both of our current vehicles use jackshafts, similar to your Sedona.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Probably not serviceable, but probably not necessary, either. This intermediate jackshaft enables both axle shafts to be of equal length. Whether there's a real benefit to this or not, I don't know. I've seen it done both ways. Our 4th generation Mopar minivans had a short driver side shaft and a real long passenger side shaft (with no jackshaft). Both of our current vehicles use jackshafts, similar to your Sedona.

Probably works just as fine either way. What I don't like though, is that the jackshaft method adds one more bearing/joint that can fail, which is what I'm troubleshooting currently
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
True. What is the issue? Noise? Imbalance?

Essentially, I am getting a clunk when shifting from P to D, or from P to R, or from R to D (whenever there is a change in load direction in the drivetrain). Also if I let off the gas and coast, and vice versa. This carrier bearing had some slop, but no leaks that I could see; and I really don't know how much play they're supposed to have. I had a helper shift repeatedly between D and R while I laid under the vehicle, and it sounded like the clunk was coming from the transmission itself. However, the whole driveline had a sharp jolt go through it when shifting, so it has to be somewhere in the driveline. Motor mounts were checked and ruled out. No odd vibrations, humming noises, etc. Just the clunk. I have posted about it in my thread in this forum (troubleshooting a bad CV joint).

The equal length half shafts, which the carrier bearing creates, close to eliminates torque steer due to a longer than other axle. Most carrier bearings get greased, however I do know how your specific application works.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Essentially, I am getting a clunk when shifting from P to D, or from P to R, or from R to D (whenever there is a change in load direction in the drivetrain). Also if I let off the gas and coast, and vice versa...

Sounds a lot like a transmission mount, more so than the motor mounts. See if you can locate one on your vehicle (I'm not familiar with it, just my $.02)

Originally Posted By: Jakob_1992
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Essentially, I am getting a clunk when shifting from P to D, or from P to R, or from R to D (whenever there is a change in load direction in the drivetrain). Also if I let off the gas and coast, and vice versa...

Sounds a lot like a transmission mount, more so than the motor mounts. See if you can locate one on your vehicle (I'm not familiar with it, just my $.02)

I did notice the transmission mount moved a good amount under load, but its slow movement didn't correlate with the clunking noise always.

Carrier bearing on my semi truck is not greaseable either. Been a lot of years since i have seen one that was. It has become a use and replace item like most things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back