Oil Recommendation Needed. Courier vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJC

I started using my truck to run errands all round town. I use to just change once a year with a synthetic since it was just an extra vehicle with 3000 annual miles.

I now do a pickup and delivery job on the side. Here's my current situation

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2RZ-FE 2.4L
40-60 miles a day 3 times a week
90% urban city stop and go with some steep hills.
Approx 20 restarts each day.
Weather here ranges from 50F-80F with average of 65-70F

Manual calls for 7,500mi 6 month intervals on 5w-30 oil for normal use.

I currently have Shell Rotella T5 Syn Blend 10w-30 with a Bosch Distance Plus filter on there. Thinking about 2,500mi intervals which at this rate is about 4 months and buying OEM filters in bulk.

Any oil, filter and interval recommendations?

Last edited:
You have an excellent set up now. That's what I would run. Filter of whatever but your oil is spot on.

Delo just released a 15W-30 purpose built for your exact application. It is literally made for you and for what you are using your vehicle for. Being in California, it should be immensely easy for you to source.

Delo 15W-30 SD

There is no magic oil, what u are using is great. I have done what you are doing, I just used dino 5w30, stop and go over 25 times a day, did just fine..2002 one ton Dodge van, still got it.

M1 EP, pick up two jugs and use the current rebate to take $12 off each jug. Do a 1 year OCI with it, resulting in 2 years worth of oil for you.

Alternatively, you could go with any quality conventional oil and do six month OCIs.

Originally Posted By: HJC
...Manual calls for 7,500mi 6 month intervals on 5w-30 oil for normal use...

I have the same truck and motor, but mine is a 2004. I checked my manual and it makes no reference to the oil mileage change interval. Are you sure yours says this? 7,500 surprises me (I would have expected 5,000ish), and 6 months seems really short???

Ed

not exactly apples to apples, but here's a UOA from a couple years back from My Buddy's Car (2003 Pontiac Vibe Toyota 1zzfe engine) that was an urban Pizza Delivery wagon at the time. on avg 70-100 mi in city traffic (his zone was just North of the Ohio State main Campus), Running PYB 5w30, with a K&N oil Filter. for nearly 7000mi

1stuoa%2520-%2520vibe.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_xZhNFCp6tXeV9fbTlaSmxRbk0/view?usp=sharing

The high SI was 2 fold. K&N Drop in air filter (since replaced with a Regular WIX Model), and the box Wasn't sealed properly. one clamp not done up, and the PCV Breather tube wasn't connected to it's Nipple on the clean side of the air box.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
6 month OCI followed by UOA to determine correct OCI.

My thoughts also. With severe usage but under 10k per year you might be able to use a stout oil and continue the 1 year interval.

Not knowing that vehicle and engine intimately, I would still be confident in suggesting a 5k interval on conventional/syn blend, or a 7.5k interval on any synthetic. I'd also go with a 5W30.

2,500 mi seems very low to me.

How many miles on the truck overall? I'd look into draining and fill the transmission as well, especially if it's the auto.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
...Manual calls for 7,500mi 6 month intervals on 5w-30 oil for normal use...

I have the same truck and motor, but mine is a 2004. I checked my manual and it makes no reference to the oil mileage change interval. Are you sure yours says this? 7,500 surprises me (I would have expected 5,000ish), and 6 months seems really short???

Ed

Just dug out my manual.
7500mi / 6mo. for Normal Service.
5000mi / 4mo. for Severe Service.

Looks like I'll probably do 6 mo. with the Semi Syn Rotella T5.
Thanks for everyone's inputs. I might have been too cautious with the OCI.

IMG_20150408_233346662_HDR.jpg

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Not knowing that vehicle and engine intimately, I would still be confident in suggesting a 5k interval on conventional/syn blend, or a 7.5k interval on any synthetic. I'd also go with a 5W30.

2,500 mi seems very low to me.

How many miles on the truck overall? I'd look into draining and fill the transmission as well, especially if it's the auto.

I have 138,000mi on it.

Yes I'll probably do 10,000mi intervals of drain and fill with Valvoline Max Life.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Delo just released a 15W-30 purpose built for your exact application. It is literally made for you and for what you are using your vehicle for. Being in California, it should be immensely easy for you to source.

Delo 15W-30 SD

Looks good. I'll check it out on my next trip to Wal Mart. I think I saw it there. I'll see how the price compares to the Rotella.

I started using my truck to run errands all round town. I use to just change once a year with a synthetic since it was just an extra vehicle with 3000 annual miles.

I now do a pickup and delivery job on the side. Here's my current situation

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2RZ-FE 2.4L
40-60 miles a day 3 times a week
90% urban city stop and go with some steep hills.
Approx 20 restarts each day.
Weather here ranges from 50F-80F with average of 65-70F

Manual calls for 7,500mi 6 month intervals on 5w-30 oil for normal use.

I currently have Shell Rotella T5 Syn Blend 10w-30 with a Bosch Distance Plus filter on there. Thinking about 2,500mi intervals which at this rate is about 4 months and buying OEM filters in bulk.

Any oil, filter and interval recommendations?

Hi HJC,

Your 2003 Toyota Tacoma 2RZ-FE 2.4L came factory filled with an API SL 5W-30 motor oil. Choosing Rotella T5 10W30 Synthetic Blend would be an appropriate engine oil for this application.

We would also suggest you follow OEM oil change recommendation of every 6 months or every 7,500 miles, or less. You can’t go wrong with stringent maintenance habits!

-The Shell Rotella Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back