Should I change my brake fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Honda Accord, last changed 3 years ago as of the end of this month, around 28,000 miles on the brake fluid. I have this Friday off so it would be a good time to have the work done. Driving style is 5 miles to / from work, errands around town (5 miles), occasional 25 mile trip into the next town. Pretty sure Honda says 3 years on the brake fluid. I want your genuine opinions, if the fluid is good I don't want to spend money if not needed. Plan on keeping this car for a while.

You live in Florida, should be okay for a while.... I would replace the fluid every 2-4 years depending on what you got in your wallet, and you live where it gets below freezing.(more condensation)

You live in Florida, your brake lines will probably rust from the outside first...

Don't needlessly open up the reservoir.(moisture entry point) I would change it more often in a "four seasons" area like the Midwest.

Last edited:
Clean isn't what you need to worry about. It's moisture content and boiling point. While you can take a reading from the reservoir, its not all that accurate. You need to get what's in the caliper, which will necessitate at least a little bit of fluid

Brake fluid absorbs moisture in a way that doesn't depend on mileage. So whether you let it sit or rack up a million miles, the brake fluid interval is still three years.

Once the system absorbs enough moisture, corrosion can start setting in and ruining things.

That said, any DOT 3 or DOT 4 will do. It doesn't matter what brand you use; the important part is regular flushes. Even Walmart DOT 3 will be fine.

How are the brakes doing? Are the pads worn? I like to flush out the fluid when replacing the pads and rotors.

Speed bleeders are great, too.

you could go another year maybe or another 10,000 miles.

snowdrifter is right about the moisture and stuff.

i know chevy recommends 3/36000 for the change of brake fluid...

...so i will be getting mine changed soon.

The brake fluid nitty gritty is the boiling point. Higher is better. But it is pretty much the same. DOT 4 has a higher temp but not by much. It is all synthetic. ATE used to sell a blue dyed BF to the track trade. It made it easier to change because you could see the difference. If the fluid you are bleeding out is 3 yrs old, it will be noticeably darker than the stuff you are pouring into the MC. I use a gravity bleed as a test of my brake line replacements' integrity. You make the MC the highest point in the system. Open the cap, then open the furthest bleeder. If the rest of the system is tight, it will drip. If not, it will drip brake fluid at farthest point of integrity. BF is fairly easy to find due to its rank smell, taste, (bitter) or feel on the fingers. You should try, not to get it on your skin either. The less contact you have with the stuff or any other "methyl-ethel-bad stuff you may encounter in your daily dance. The happier your liver , kidneys, stomach, etc, will be. AKMHIK
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Most German vehicles use DOT-4 brake fluid and 2 years is the recommendation, most vehicles with DOT-3 brake fluid 3 years is recommended.

To flush brake fluid at 4 corners 1 quart is needed, cost is less than $10 if you do it yourself.

I have hyundai do mine at 100k along with coolant change. Tranny is flushed every 50-60k. I think changing brake fluid every few years is a good idea but more often in heavy moisture areas

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Once the system absorbs enough moisture, corrosion can start setting in and ruining things.

Corrosion is not the primary issue! Boiling is. The more water the brake fluid absorbs, the lower its boiling point is.

When you are doing heavy braking, your brake fluid goes up in temp. If it boils, you have a gas in your hydraulic line, and you get spongy, ineffective braking. The bad part is, everything feels fine until you get to this point.

Replace your brake fluid every 3 years, especially in humid environments like Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back