Water Pump Swap 02 Silverado 6.0 (4.8, 5.3 Vortec)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So it was time to do the belts on the truck in preps for camping seasoning. I noticed one of the gaskets for the water pump was leaking. (sitting is going to kill this thing)
Since you have to the pull the pump to fix it, I got a brand new one and they sell a kit with the idler, tensioner and belt. All GM stuff. All made in Canada and Japan.
This will be similar for all 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 GM trucks from 1999 to present.
Took me about 2 and a half hours. Cost was right at about 200 bucks for parts and coolant.
The subject.
IMG_3597.jpg

First you remove the upper radiator hose.
Next you remove the radiator shroud.
2 10 mm bolts at the top and 4 plastic retainers. Two on each side.
IMG_3596.jpg

Next I removed the fan and clutch. It is a 36MM fastener to the water pump. The tool you see is an old drum brake tool modified to hold the pulley while I remove the fan and clutch.
IMG_3595.jpg

It will look like this when removed. (this is an after picture, but you get the idea)
IMG_3594.jpg

Remove the belt.
Next remove the rest of the hoses.
The lower radiator and two heater hoses.
IMG_3588.jpg

Next I removed the idler and tensioner.
The idler has one 15mm fastener holding it to the pump
The tensioner has three 15mm fasteners holding it to the pump.
Once those are removed you can take the pump off.
It has six 10mm fasteners holding it to the block. The thermostat will come off with it. You can use the original T-Stat or change it. I changed mine. It is held on by two 10mm fasteners.
Installation is reverse. I used the Felpro blue gaskets. They are much better than the OEM ones.

Fastener locations
IMG_3594.jpg

Pump removed.
IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

What was in the belt kit

38,000...It sits...a lot.

And when I do use it, it is tow a 7500lbs travel trailer. So it life isn't really that easy. The old pump was fine, but I bought a new one for a good price with the updated impeller.

Those trucks aren't bad to work on. My buddy's 5.3 Silverado was a piece of cake compared to his DMax which seems to have wires and hoses snaked everywhere.

Brand and model specific forums have more of these detailed articles on how to do a specific job. Bitog does not have many of these articles because it does not limit itself to particular models, so discussions tend to be more general, not specific.

You need something to hold the pulley while you remove the fan and clutch as an assembly.

I made the tool to fit in the holes of the pulley so I could hold it while turning the 36 mm bolt. The fan and clutch will come off as on unit. Some people use a strap wrench to keep the pulley from turning. I assume there is a special tool for this, but Autozone did not have it. They did have the fan clutch removal tool, which I rented. It comes with the 36mm Wrench for the fastener.
IMG_3595.jpg

We use them on the Submarines often. Autozone didn't have one
frown.gif

My modified one worked almost as good.

I have seen folks use a strap wrench. Seems to work too.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Should have seized the opportunity to flush that nasty DexCool

Why don't you explain to me why?

DexCool does not effect the LSx. Dry intake pressurized overflow.
I don't want to sound like a D-bag, but don't comment on something you don't know about.

Hey let me apologize. That was kind of harsh, but I get tired of explaining Dexcool to folks.

Dexcool has no affect on the LSx motors...I.E. 1999 and up 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0

3.1, 3800, 3.4, 4.3? Sure.

Yep, the whole Deathcool thing is so long gone it ain't funny anymore.

Nowadays we run our fleet trucks to component failure before we ever touch the cooling system. That can easily be well over 100k miles, sometimes 200k. Then and only then do we even mess with the factory fill...

Edit: note that none of our fleet vans have pressurized overflow tanks. Not even the newest ones (2014). All our Silverados have them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Even Ford uses DexCool now
shocked2.gif
Seriously no problems with the cooling systems on those cars, well no more than when they used G05 or old green.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Hey let me apologize. That was kind of harsh, but I get tired of explaining Dexcool to folks.

Dexcool has no affect on the LSx motors...I.E. 1999 and up 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0

3.1, 3800, 3.4, 4.3? Sure.

It's cool Mike. I will not claim to be a know it all about DexCool so I shouldn't have even said anything. But what I HAVE heard is that the stuff is nasty and I've always flushed it out the first chance I get with a newly acquired vehicle.

I have however owned both a 3.4 and a 3800.

My GF has a GP with the 3.8 and that DexCool looks gunky and gross but she won't let me flush it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Nowadays we run our fleet trucks to component failure before we ever touch the cooling system. That can easily be well over 100k miles, sometimes 200k. Then and only then do we even mess with the factory fill...

Edit: note that none of our fleet vans have pressurized overflow tanks. Not even the newest ones (2014). All our Silverados have them.

I was unaware of this.

Guess I'll throw that coolant prejudice to the wolves.
21.gif

I better or Mike might give me a
spankme2.gif

I flushed the coolant in my Taurus the day I bought it and Ford says to do it every 45K past 100K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back