Harley Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Ya'll may know that Jay Buckley is a Fram rep, who goes by Motorking here on BITOG. There was a discussion over in the filter forum about flow rates and such. Jay chimed in that Fram has something like 1,400 different P/N's and if you e-mail him your Fram P/N, he'll let ya know what the flow rate is. I e-mailed him a few P/N's including PH6022, which fits my '89 Harley. He e-mailed me back stating that Fram tests all their filters with 30W oil, at 180* @ 30 psi. The PH6022 will flow in excess of 15 gpm @ 30 psi before getting near bypass. I told him the PH6022 was for my Harley using 20/50 oil. He said that wasn't a problem. He said that Fram makes the OE Harley filter which is a synthetic media similar to the Fram Ultra, and if it was his bike, he would use a Fram Ultra. I told him I couldn't find an XG6022, but the PH3614 had the same dimensions (diameter, relief valve setting, etc) as the PH6022. He got back to me and said, yes, the XG3614 would work fine on my bike. It also has the same flow rate of 15 gpm @30 psi. So I went out and bought a couple & put one on my bike. They're about $9 at Walmart & with the $2 mail in rebate, it's a win-win. If anyone wants to e-mail Jay about a filter for their bike, he's at: [email protected]

be careful with that 'data', the newer HD engines use a finer filter than the old, with a lower micron allowance. You put one of those on an older (pre 2007) bike and oil starvation becomes a real concern.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
be careful with that 'data', the newer HD engines use a finer filter than the old, with a lower micron allowance. You put one of those on an older (pre 2007) bike and oil starvation becomes a real concern.

Oil starvation will never be a problem, that's what the filter bypass valve is for. You should watch this Fram video that shows you how an oil filter works.

Also, if you go to the Harley website, they state that the 5 micron SuperPremium5 oil filter, can be used as an upgrade for the older filters. You need to do your homework before coming here and making false claims about the newer Harley filters not working on older bikes.

$9 at Walmart for Fram?

Not for me, not a Fram fan at all, never know what you are getting with Fram, many use cardboard end caps with glue holding the media in place.

But anyway, A Harley 5 Micron OEM cost me only $2 more at my dealer $11. Maybe $10 and change. The Harley filter is a well made filter.

Last edited:
Did you read my post? The Harley filters are made by Fram. I guess that means you won't be using the Harley filters. If you compare pics of the Ultra and Harley 5 micron filters that have been cut open, they look very similar. No fiber end caps.

I wish Fram would just make everything like they do with their ultra line. It is the only Fram oil filter I will use after having witnessed two very serious issues with orange cans.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
...A Harley 5 Micron OEM cost me only $2 more at my dealer $11. Maybe $10 and change. The Harley filter is a well made filter.

Well you could get a $2.00 rebate on the Ultras, and I suppose with an e-mail from Jay, you'd be on pretty firm ground for Fram warranty, not so much on factory warranty.

For the money difference I think I'll stick with the SP5.

The SP5 also has a whispy/gausy (hard to describe) layer to the media that I don't remember the Ultra having.

My bike is 26 years old. For me, warranty isn't an issue. I got the flow rates from Motoring, and I know the Ultra is 99+ @ 20 microns. I'm not saying the Harley filter isn't any good. It's just that I know what I'm getting with the Ultra.

I found the pics that DuckRyder posted of the HD filter:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3619076/%5BCut_Open%5D_Harley_Davidson_Sup#Post3619076

Here's pics of an Ultra:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3689755/Fram_Ultra_Synthetic_XG6607_

They are somewhat different. For one the filter media color is different. Another is the Ultra has a metal clamped seam, the HD does not. Also the wire backing is different. You have to go to the second page to see the wire backing exposed on the HD. What I do find similar is, for lack of a better work, the "thickness" of the pleating. Since they are both Fram manufacturered filter, I can see why they would be similar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LC
Champion Laboratories Inc. Have been making the OEM Harley oil filters for over decade. Just send them a email or call and ask them. http://www.champlabs.com/

Did you even read my first post? So I guess the e-mail I got from Motorking (Jay Buckley from Fram), telling me that Fram makes the Harley filter was a lie.

Originally Posted By: SJohnson
Originally Posted By: LC
Champion Laboratories Inc. Have been making the OEM Harley oil filters for over decade. Just send them a email or call and ask them. http://www.champlabs.com/

Did you even read my first post? So I guess the e-mail I got from Motorking (Jay Buckley from Fram), telling me that Fram makes the Harley filter was a lie.

Fram as well as Champion Labs are owned by the Rank group.

http://www.rankgroup.co.nz/

Yes, they are both owned by the Rank Group. Hunts, Libby's, Manwich and many other brands are owned by ConAgra. They are different companies, with different contracts. Just because the are owned by the same conglomerate, doesn't necessarily mean they have some sort of "sharing" agreement or overlapping contracts. I shared the information given to me by Motorking (Jay Buckley from Fram). If you have evidence that Champion Labs makes HD filters, I would greatly appreciate it if you would please share it with us.

Champion Labs and FRAM are now "Fram Group". (AKA UCI - Fram Grp, AKA Fram Filtration)

Having cut open both SP5 and Ultras, I don't find them particularly similar.

I'm not knocking either filter. I like them both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Champion Labs and FRAM are now "Fram Group". (AKA UCI - Fram Grp, AKA Fram Filtration)

Having cut open both SP5 and Ultras, I don't find them particularly similar.

I'm not knocking either filter. I like them both.

Yes, but they are still part of the Rank Group.

http://rankgroup.co.nz

I know the Ultra has two layers. Did you notice if the HD filter did also? Also, did you notice if the wire mesh was stainless? I read somewhere that the Ultra mesh is.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back