Hi Beams gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced headlights on my 2005 PT Cruiser, now the hi-beams don't work. Worked before, tried the old bulbs, didn't work. When I pulled one bulb, the connect had oil, I guess on it. Cleaned it, but no light still. Low beams work fine, fog lights on the car are jacked up. If you plug them in, the don't shut off. Any ideas?

I'm guessing it's a three prong comnecter. I believe the lights are ground switched, at least they were on my car. Use a multi meter to check for 12v or ground (if ground switched) when you turn on the low beams and then check when you flip on the high beams.

I have never heard of any car maker fusing the head light circuit.Usually there is some type of thermal type breaker that opens up and will automatically reset and complete the circuit when it cools.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tezzzas
Didn't check the relay or use a volt meter.

If you're unwilling to do the most basic check, see if voltage is present at the connector when the light switch is on, I doubt if there's much we can do to help you.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: tezzzas
Didn't check the relay or use a volt meter.

If you're unwilling to do the most basic check, see if voltage is present at the connector when the light switch is on, I doubt if there's much we can do to help you.

I wasn't unwilling to do the work, I had to leave to go back to school.

In the "old days" the H4 bulb, (AKA 9003 in the US) which has high and low filament connections and third, common to both, was usually wired with a switched hot lead to each filament and the third provided "ground' to both. Now quite often the common lead is hot and ground is switched between the two filaments. IF the high doesn't operate it's likely the ground to the high filament is not being made, but a meter is needed to be sure. US standard is for "fog" lights to be turned OFF when high beams are turned ON, so there is an inteconection there which may have failed or been "re-engineeered".

Last edited:
the relays are probably fused and the switch grounds the relay coil I would guess for 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back