Mobil 1 0w30 AFE / Civic Si (K24Z7) 6k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back my most recent UOA, see below. Mostly highway driving (commute ~40 miles each way for work), however rpms are usually at 3000-3500 due to the short gearing of this car.. I also don't baby the car, plenty of redline pulls etc.. For reference, my OLM was at 30% when the oil was changed.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this sample. Could the higher than avg rpms combined with the over-square nature of the engine be what's driving the viscosity down so much? Do you think I should move up to a 0w40, especially with the summer months coming up? Based on the results with Mobil 1 0w30 I don't feel like really going past 6k miles due to how much it sheared. I know most people here are about extending OCIs as much as possible, however with my driving style/habits I would rather err on the side of caution...

4Z4NE9p.png

Thanks

Last edited:
TBN is great but way too much shear for me too...try the EP version I bet it would hold viscosity better... or Castrol Gold bottle which has shown itself to be very shear resistant as well.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I thought these took 0w20?

+1..... And [censored], this thing is still breaking in. That oil for 10-12k would be just fine. Just follow the OLM.

This is the highly tuned K24 engine from the Si model, they've always taken 5w30 not 0w20. I would try 0w40 and see if you notice any difference in performance + do UOA.

Honda specs 0w20 currently, however if you take a look at my previous UOA in which I used afe 0w20, you can see how much it sheared.. I think the 0w20 spec is more for fuel economy vs. engine protection, as in the past these engines were recommended to use 5w30.

I filled w/ 0w30 again and am curious to see how it holds up with the warmer spring/summer temps coming up. If I see excessive shearing I think I might try a 5w30 or even 0w40..

How would you guys rate this add pack? From what I've seen around here, doesn't look like anything special.

Last edited:
Surely, since the factory spec is a 20 weight, before moving to the 40 weight, wouldn't it be a better idea (as previously suggested) to try the Extended Performance Mobil1 in 5W20 or 5W30 and see how it holds up?

Others with more Experience may chime in but if you're gonna drive it hard, isnt a shorther OCI (5 to 7K) requiring a more stout oil needed ?

The numbers look great, I imagine you can safely follow the OLM with what you're using.

Aren't most Honda 4-cylinder engines, including the K24, undersquare rather than oversquare?

I also own a Si with a K24z7. I used 5w-30 PP old formula, after dumping the break-in oil at 3k. I have 2 jugs of PPU old formula and 1 jug of Mobil 1 EP. All three jugs are also 5w-30. I figure after shearing they will be in the 20 grade anyway. The PP I'm gonna keep in till 8k and use aforementioned oils for 10k drain intervals.

Last edited:
Looks great for an engine breaking in. Wear metals, including silicone, trending down, strong flash, low insols, strong ending TBN.

Thanks everyone.

@BearZDefect - You are correct, I meant undersquare vs. oversquare. So you don't see any harm in running this oil even though it sheared down to a 20w during the 6k interval?

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Surely, since the factory spec is a 20 weight, before moving to the 40 weight, wouldn't it be a better idea (as previously suggested) to try the Extended Performance Mobil1 in 5W20 or 5W30 and see how it holds up?

Others with more Experience may chime in but if you're gonna drive it hard, isnt a shorther OCI (5 to 7K) requiring a more stout oil needed ?

I am running M1 0w30 afe again but this time will change out at 5k to see if this helps.. If not, will probably move up to M1 EP 5w30

Originally Posted By: wi11iam
... So you don't see any harm in running this oil even though it sheared down to a 20w during the 6k interval?

Correct. Honda surely considered the viscosity reduction, and I imagine their OLM is programmed for lesser oils than what you used. But I am no expert on these matters, and if you frequently run it hard at a track then I'd think twice about the viscosity.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
This is the highly tuned K24 engine from the Si model, they've always taken 5w30 not 0w20. I would try 0w40 and see if you notice any difference in performance + do UOA.

Not really. The K20 motors always took 30w. The K24 changeover in 2012 moved the entire Honda line to 20w oils. The Z7 variant is consistent across the Accord and CRV lines prior to the inception of the Earth Dreams K24W1. The Si application has revised intake routing, larger exhaust diameter, and a revised ECU mapping tables requiring 91 octane pushing it to 200-205 vs the 187 hp plebeian applications. Internally, it is identical across all lines. Secondly, AFE 0w-30 has not historically been a shear stable oil to start with.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to run anything more than a 0w-20. Even if you are Hondata tuned and bouncing off the rev limiter in every gear at 7600 rpm, which you aren't. There is no reason to fear a lighter oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zuluplus30

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to run anything more than a 0w-20. Even if you are Hondata tuned and bouncing off the rev limiter in every gear at 7600 rpm, which you aren't. There is no reason to fear a lighter oil.

Care to explain your reasoning behind this?

So you're saying that in 6k miles of use, even though this oil sheared to almost a 20w, the engine is very easy on oil? Help me understand how that's okay.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Because the K24 is very easy on oil. Idle. Redline. Everywhere in between. There are a plethora of UOAs on this site that confirm this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back